What do you look for when selecting a seedling?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand this. I've had the majority of my Paphs since they were young plants (had them for 2-3 years now), and so far, four of them have flowered (my sukh tried to, but I didn't allow it).

What I like the most is comparing pictures I took when I got them home, with what they look like now. It's great to see how much some of them have grown.

Multis, however, I think I prefer NBS or BS, because they are just too slow. :rollhappy:

I love doing that too! :)

You are thinking like a young person. When i buy plants I try to choose the healthiest, then the ones with the most number of mature growths, then I look at the proportions and color (deeper is better, or lighter for albums) of the leaves.

No, like the seedlings don't survive. :eek:

Oh, well I have lost a few, but that happens. I don't buy anything that I don't think that I can handle. Like, I passed up on a nice bunch of hangianums because I know they grow super slow and they were tiny...and I would be really sad if it died.

You are thinking like a young person. When i buy plants I try to choose the healthiest, then the ones with the most number of mature growths, then I look at the proportions and color (deeper is better, or lighter for albums) of the leaves.

Lol, I'm 38, not sure if that's young but you're not old! I didn't say that I only buy ss, I often have a pick of ms's and sometimes ls's too.

Thanks for sharing your tips! :)

Ya, i only have 15 years on you, that's a lifetime in plant growth. :p

Hahaha, well in 15 years I'll probably be telling people not to buy seedlings...but for now I appreciate all the tips I've been given by you experienced growers. Thank you. :)

I actually love growing seedlings! Yes, it requires patience and there is no guarantee that you will get an exceptional bloom but I just love to grow things! I find it very satisfying to see a little thing become a mature plant, kinda makes me proud that I'm doing something right. :)

I have tried a few seedlings before and all of them have died on me. I also enjoy that feeling of satisfaction but maybe once I have enough experience then I would get myself a flask. I have even reduced multigrowth plants to a mere seedling size!

I have tried a few seedlings before and all of them have died on me. I also enjoy that feeling of satisfaction but maybe once I have enough experience then I would get myself a flask. I have even reduced multigrowth plants to a mere seedling size!

Awww...maybe they weren't healthy seedlings to begin with. :(
I would love to try a flask one day too! Not quite confident enough yet though.

I think some of you are being too literal about buying 'seedlings'. I think the original question applies more to any unbloomed plant than to one just weeks out of flask.

Unless you unflask the seedlings you really don't know which are the good ones!! You may get seedlings from somebody who keep all the good ones and dump the rejects, the slow growers non blooming etc..., not all growers do this but some do, so it's a crapshoot!! I'm just trying to give you some insight about buying seedlings, not jade you, hope this helps

Eric, I am your age, and buy flasks. What does that make me? Joke aside, my experience is that for some species it takes longer time to acclimatise seedlings than getting flasklings to a decent size. Eg. Venustums and wardiis flower within two years. I have had seedlings sulking for longer time than that!

That's a good point. Probably because the seedlings were started one way and then have had a change in conditions; but with unflasked plants the culture is probably consistent.

And you have the possibility of choosing the best growers. This may not be those with the best flowers but ok, it feels good to have something that actually grows and not only sits there. And if you keep the rest of the flask they may surprise you one day!

Check that plants culture and mimic that best as possible, you should not have a problem

Unless you unflask the seedlings you really don't know which are the good ones!! You may get seedlings from somebody who keep all the good ones and dump the rejects, the slow growers non blooming etc..., not all growers do this but some do, so it's a crapshoot!! I'm just trying to give you some insight about buying seedlings, not jade you, hope this helps

Not so sure that is true. I have found that the fastest seedlings are seldom the best of the flask. Also seedlings that struggle under a set of conditions often thrive under someone else's conditions. Not quite as simple as deflasking and keeping a few of the 'best' ones. I wish it were, that way I could deflasking a batch and keep 10% and be happy that I had achieved my goal of selecting some good plants and save a lot of space and effort:(

To the OP, price is the determinant.

About these flasks(full size, 25 or more), to me, the bottom 20% are just plain crap.
Will a vendor keep these? Water these runts another year or two till they are big enough to sell?
Will a vendor take a bunch of runts of same size, throw them in a compot, and make it $150.00? Meanwhile keeping the top for himself, for a more favorable sale later?

I can go on and on about how much dung I think is on the sales booth.
That's money. What vendor is going to throw away money.

Flask or blooming plant (to me) is the way to buy. Avoid impulse buying.
I have gotten many killer plants from Slippertalkers also. I think ego has a lot to do with it.

Back