Cattleya labiata ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a post on cattleya labiata, some thoughts. Yes, intermediate as I attempt to keep winter lows at 60f/15c and summer high at 85f/30c but this is an effort and air movement is the key. Humidity between 50 low and 85 high. All watering is rain water. Also the low winter temp. has to be kept at 60f or above as phalaenopsis species will suffer or die below this. I used to get down to 12c 55f, but the cattleya have responded to warmer winter lows. Light conditions for large plants are all natural light only as they are roof suspended. I have to do lattice roof shading from mid April to mid September and still have burn on occasion. Also my media for large cattleya has now changed to25% orchiata, horticultural charcoal, lecca and pumice to help with root preservation, it means more frequent summer watering, but winter watering is now at 10 day intervals. In my conditions, I have found I can grow trianae, gaslelliana, jenmanii, labiata, intermedia, rex, luteola, quadricolor, mossiae, mendelii and warscewiczii quite well, and some others respectably.

Last edited:
I just did a post on cattleya labiata, some thoughts. Yes, intermediate as I attempt to keep winter lows at 60f/15c and summer high at 85f/30c but this is an effort and air movement is the key. Humidity between 50 low and 85 high. All watering is rain water. Also the low winter temp. has to be kept at 60f or above as phalaenopsis species will suffer or die below this. I used to get down to 12c 55f, but the cattleya have responded to warmer winter lows. Light conditions for large plants are all natural light only as they are roof suspended. I have to do lattice roof shading from mid April to mid September and still have burn on occasion. Also my media for large cattleya has now changed to25% orchiata, horticultural charcoal, lecca and pumice to help with root preservation, it means more frequent summer watering, but winter watering is now at 10 day intervals. In my conditions, I have found I can grow trianae, gaslelliana, jenmanii, labiata, intermedia, rex, luteola, quadricolor, mossiae, mendelii and warscewiczii quite well, and some others respectably.
Excellent details, David.

David,
in my humble opinion, your ability to use rain water is a huge bonus. Thanks for sharing your methodology.

.....It looks like a labiata to me lol.

Rudolf, was there any doubt from your seller?
Meanwhile I contacted the seller (Hennis Orchideen) and here is what he responded:

" Vielen Dank für Ihre Mail und herzlichen Glückwunsch zu der tollen Pflanze, super gepflegt!
Ich bin mir ziemlich sicher, dass es sich um eine Cattleya labiata handelt mit einer ausgeprägten Färbung.
Beste Grüße, Thilo Hennis"

Translation:
Many thanks for your mail and congrats to the awesome plant, super cultivated!
I'm pretty sure it to be about a Cattleya labiata with a pronounced colouration.
Best regards, Thilo Hennis

since I am the same latitude, I have to say my species labiata(of unknown source other than RBG) is throwing buds for the first time,since /92 when I rescued a cutting doomed to be destroyed.It took 5 years to grow out of fusarium, and now fresh new buds and fat psueudobulbs. south windows work.

from past (way past) we had a freaking huge labiata ,greenhouse grown,50 bud plant happy as heck,in that RBG -43 rd parallel growth line. Dont assume you cant grow labiata in a moderate sun environ. just watch your watering cycles closely

Thanks, Leslie. So far I didn't contact the seller ..... but it's a well known orchid nursery here in Germany (Hennis Orchideen) .
this has more trends towards laelia( which is not a bad thing),as long as it does not require a dry stretch

since I am the same latitude, I have to say my species labiata(of unknown source other than RBG) is throwing buds for the first time,since /92 when I rescued a cutting doomed to be destroyed.It took 5 years to grow out of fusarium, and now fresh new buds and fat psueudobulbs. south windows work.
Would be nice to see foto(s) here when the flowers will be open. Sorry, but I'm slow on the uptake ... what means RBG ?
I've grown mine at a south facing window, too.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see foto(s) here when the flowers will be open. Sorry, but I'm slow on the uptake ... what means RBG ?
I've grown mine at a south facing window, too.
Royal Botanical Gardens...Aldershot,Ontario..had the largest American orchid species collection in Canada in the 90's

Latest posts

Back