Cattleya labiata ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I bought a young plant of Cattleya labiata which is now flowering for the first time. What shall I say I'm really surprised by her beauty. She has not only an intense colouration but also a quite good shape .... not to forget then intense sweet scent. I don't dare to talk about the price I paid for this beauty.
But you can have a look by yourself, except the scent which you have to do without.

10215_23.09.18_cattleya_labiata.jpg

10218_23.09.18_cattleya_labiata.jpg

10220_23.09.18_cattleya_labiata.jpg

10223_23.09.18_cattleya_labiata.jpg

I agree. My first thought is that it has warscewiczii blood in it. Those two yellow eyes are a dead give away for this species. It could well be a hybrid with labiata.
However I love it. It’s a lovely colour and form.

Hmmmm I’m not sure why it’s not labiata? There are labiatas with bright yellow eyes. Also the vegetative parts look like labiata. It is also the season for labiatas.

It looks like a labiata to me lol.

Rudolf, was there any doubt from your seller?

Hmmmm I’m not sure why it’s not labiata? There are labiatas with bright yellow eyes. Also the vegetative parts look like labiata. It is also the season for labiatas.

It looks like a labiata to me lol.

Rudolf, was there any doubt from your seller?
Thanks, Leslie. So far I didn't contact the seller ..... but it's a well known orchid nursery here in Germany (Hennis Orchideen) .

As Leslie travels he world and shows us things as I look at AOS awards for various Cattleya species over time, I am humbled to see how much variation exists within each species. There are not very many features that are only seen with one particular species. Until we have detailed genetic analysis routinely available, we will often have some uncertainty.

As Leslie travels he world and shows us things as I look at AOS awards for various Cattleya species over time, I am humbled to see how much variation exists within each species. There are not very many features that are only seen with one particular species. Until we have detailed genetic analysis routinely available, we will often have some uncertainty.
How true, Terry. Variation of traits within a certain range is always present .... within species as well as, or even more with hybrids.

Cattleya labiata may be a very very rewarding species for the growers on this site. I just messaged Leslie that he has 3 labiata in bud. They are grown in intermediate conditions and the plant habit is somewhat more manageable than some other species. Once mature they become reliable bloomers. Perhaps not prolific at producing divisions, but they absolutely fill a large hole in the yearly blooming calendar. Perhaps Leslie will post the blooms. One I have not flowered is a rubra 'Integra Sunset' the others are coerulea Natural World, and the other a semi alba 'Solar Flare' that received an AM/AOS last year but now with 7 buds on 2 infl. If possible I will take a group picture of the three plants and show how I manage to keep the plants in a hopefully better format for flower presentation. NOTE, I have published a labiata group update.

Last edited:
Indeed Jens, she is .... and she was a lot cheaper than the C. percivalliana alba we both tried to bid on ebay at the same time some time ago.
What this pertains, Rudolf, Basil Fawlty in the episode 'The Germans' hit the head on the nail: "Don't mention the war"! 🤯🤯🤯

I have since then, though, laid my hands on a few others of Hilmar's Catt.s, which helped a bit. I have somewhat recuperated, but just because you've mentioned the war more than once, don't think you've "got away with it"!

Talking of which: I hope, you are not one of the guys, I'm at the moment entangled with in a hefty bid war for some other plants on ebay.de?!

Last edited:
What this pertains, Tudolf, Basil Fawlty in the episode 'The Germans' hit the head on the nail: "Don't mention the war"! 🤯🤯🤯
......... but just because you've mentioned the war more than once, don't think you've "got away with it"!
Jens, no war between Germans and Danish ..... and should we ever meet in person which is quite likely e.g. next year in Dresden I will beg your pardon. That's for sure. 🤗🤗🤗
...... Talking of which: I hope, you are not one of the guys, I'm at the moment entangled with in a hefty bid war for some other plants on ebay.de?!
I swear I'm not involved.

Jens, no war between Germans and Danish ..... and should we ever meet in person which is quite likely e.g. next year in Dresden I will beg your pardon. That's for sure. 🤗🤗🤗

I swear I'm not involved.
No war between the two of us, Rudolf, that's for certain! I bet we both would prefer to make love in life rather than war..... and follow the advice of Voltaire and cultivate our "gardens" (i.e. window sills)! 😇😇

I'm glad you are not parttaking in the feud - good for me, good for you, and good for world peace in general! 😉

Cattleya labiata may be a very very rewarding species for the growers on this site. I just messaged Leslie that he has 3 labiata in bud. They are grown in intermediate conditions and the plant habit is somewhat more manageable than some other species. Once mature they become reliable bloomers. Perhaps not prolific at producing divisions, but they absolutely fill a large hole in the yearly blooming calendar. Perhaps Leslie will post the blooms. One I have not flowered is a rubra 'Integra Sunset' the others are coerulea Natural World, and the other a semi alba 'Solar Flare' that received an AM/AOS last year but now with 7 buds on 2 infl. If possible I will take a group picture of the three plants and show how I manage to keep the plants in a hopefully better format for flower presentation.
David, does your greenhouse get only natural light and natural day lengths of Toronto? When you say intermediate conditions for the labiata, what does that mean for peak winter and summer temperatures (max, min, and average if you have them)? We know you are an outstanding grower!

Latest posts

Back