What are you reading?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking forward to that book. It's already in my Amazon cart.
I just finished the part when Kovach brings the plant to Selby. Very interesting stuff. There were more people at Selby that day than I realized and the rush to publish was more of a rush than I thought too. I guess I didn't realize what a feather in a cap this really was. To me as a hobbyist - while I have the orchid bug - I guess I just don't have that fever pitch and so can't relate to the intensity. Eye-opening.

It'll be interesting to see what you and Yo-yo think

Just finished reading, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown, again.

Brown has been accused of bias towards the indigenous people of the United States but his historic accuracy is seldom questioned. I find it hard to believe that some reviewers use the words accurate and bias in the same sentence when discussing this book.

Similar atrocious treatment was dished out to the Australian indigenous people but I'm yet to read an account as griping, sad and well written as Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

This book has been firmly positioned at number one of my non fiction canon for many years and would take a extraordinarily good book to move it.

For detailed reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Bury-My-Heart-Wounded-Knee/dp/0805066349
Just the picture on the cover (of the edition I read years ago) says it all. If you ever get a chance to go to the Custer battlefield you should take the opportunity. Another eye-opener.

I have intended to read the book about building the railway that was the subject of 'Bridge over the River Kwai' written by an Australian couple who walked what remains of the line. Again man's inhumanity to man. But so many times these accounts are just so painful. My heart can't take it. I feel it too deeply. Like the book 'Unbroken' about the WII sailor that's out now. So much pain. How can people survive?

I've recently finished, "The Guns of August" which I thought was excellent and very gripping. If anyone is interested in reading a narrative of the opening of the Great War, I can't recommend this book highly enough!

Currently starting "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I know, I'm a little late in starting it now that the movie is out, but I'm enjoying it!

I also just purchased "Scent of a Scandal" and will look forward to reading that! I remember when the whole Kovach issue began, just graduated from law school, and it really captivated me. I remember hearing about the flower, and not seeing it, and not really able to grasp how huge the flower is.

'Scent of Scandal' winds up with very recent events, such as Christensen's death last year. And Slippertalk features with the late Dr. Isaias Rolando's posts here. The appendices flesh out the narrative and so are a must read.

Just now reading very little I'm so busy, but I _am_ reading The Bippolo Seed (new old Dr.Seuss stories), one story a day til I finish it (just to stretch out the enjoyment), and Mother Night, a Vonnegut novel I somehow missed reading before. And I am always reading The Unabridged Mark Twain, a bit at a time here and there. I am contemplating re-reading all three volumes of The Rise of the Dutch Republic, by John Lothrop Motley, this summer. It would be a good one to drag along for the flight delays and airport waits on my Redlands trip. I'm curious to see how I view it now. I did my senior thesis on it at Ohio Wesleyan in 1978. I love old books and I still have the same 1899 edition I used at OWU. I may just take an old sci-fi paperback instead on the trip if I'm tight for space.

If you like history, the Motley book is an incredible read, reads like a novel. It's actually a fun read. I compare it to the "Memoirs of Catherine the Great of Russia" for sheer readability.

I keep promising myself someday I'll get around to organizing and re-reading all the Robot stories and novels of Isaac Asimov in order.

Someday...sigh...

I'm busy with both The World at War (Richard Holmes) and The hidden structure by Paolo Mazzarello.

The former is a history of World War II as told by the people who lived through it. Its a collection of interviews. Very interesting reading.

The latter is a bio of Camillo Golgi who invented/discovered Golgi staining and many valuable contributions to biology and medicine. At this very moment I'm actually preparing specimens for Golgi staining.

I'm thinking of reading Lord of the Rings again after these too. I feel like some good fiction. Or I may get myself an old classic instead. I was thinking of maybe 1984 or Brave New World.

Genetics and conservation of Rare Plants (holsinger) &
Garcia 'an american life' (jackson)

1Q84 by Murakami (to disconnect in the train while permuting) & Physiology of inflammation for my new job...

Fug You.....by Ed Sanders, about his days in NYC during the 60's, hanging out with Ginsburg and creating the Fugs.

I'm currently reading THE END OF IRAQ which is one

of two in a series. The second is UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. Both by the same author, Peter W.
Galbraith. I'm still trying to understand just how the govt.
managed to involve us in such a continuing mess starting
with the administration of H.W. Bush. Incredible.

"At Home" by Bill Bryson. Interesting read about the evolution of the home and all the domestic items we use in daily life. It's more entertaining than I expected and I'll be looking for more of his books.

Joanne, I think I've read all Bryson's books and all are wonderful and very funny. Your next might be A WALK IN THE WOODS which is laugh out loud funny. Bryson has a
wicked sense of humor.

I love Bill Bryson. I have a copy of "At Home", but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I always keep a load of books on hand, so that I'll always have a new book as soon as I finish one.

Me too, Eric. I'm a readin' fool. Can you remember the
title of the first sort of travel book Bryson wrote about
his ill-fated tour of Europe? With Stephen Katz as companion? He can write slap stick so well! Maybe HERE AND THERE? Damnit, I have the book, but can't find it at the moment. It's hilarious Joanne.

The Biography of John Adams: A great biography based on letters of the period which these people constantly wrote. They didn't have computers to waste time on. When they weren't working, eating, talking with family and friends...they wrote letters. Thank you B. Franklin. His Bio and Auto-Bio were great too. Thank God someone saved all the Adam's letters. Wonderful history of the revolution and how our country was formed. Also, got a copy of Orchid Digest Oct.Nov.Dec. 2003 all about the kovachii experience and a great Paph. checklist.

People Who Eat Darkness, by Richard Lloyd Parry. I'm almost finished, and really sorry to see it end....andamazing book, with a fascinating (true) story. Not just a great crime story, but a fascinating look at the police and criminal justice system in Japan.

Latest posts

Back