What are you reading?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
I'll start: right now I'm reading 'Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming' (a semi-credible treatment), 'Same-Sex Unions in Pre-Modern Europe' (a scholarly work), and 'Son of Man' (1971 scifi). Also Orchids and Orchid Digest.

I am reading a magnificent book called Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel.

It won the Man Booker Prize in 2009 and I am really enjoying the writing style, it's a joy to read.

The Girl Who Played With Fire, by Stieg Larsson. I read the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo last year and really enjoyed it, and so far this one has been equally as good.

Mostly scientific stuff. Anything on astronomy and astrophysics, archeology and anything else ending in ''gy''. Mostly on my computer or my book reader. I also love detective, spy and mystery stories. And of course orchids. Much less book reading as I used to as my eyes tire quickly reading books. At least I can make letters a bit bigger on screen. I admire Dan Brown for his talent in tying all sorts of things together to make a story. What a great story teller he is! :)

The Girl Who Played With Fire, by Stieg Larsson. I read the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo last year and really enjoyed it, and so far this one has been equally as good.

I am just finishing The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest.

Well...

Recently finished: 'The Lost City of Z - A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon' by David Graham. A mix of biography, autobiography, anthropology and archaeology.

Just into: 'Winter's Heart' Book 9 of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.

Next: 'Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens Our Future' by Chris Mooney and Sheril Kirshenbaum.

Not much of a novel reader these days (which is a shame). Recently read a slew of books on lucid dreaming/astral travel. Interesting, but far better to practice this than read about it! A related work recently finished was The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. Been poking around the Holy Bible too.

I'm reading Les Heures souterraines written by novelist Delphine de Vigan. This is a book written in French. I will try to explain its meaning as I understand it so far. I find this book has quite captivated my interest yet it feels disturbing to me as well. I've been reading only a few pages each night before I go to bed. I chose to savor this book in this manner, resisting the strong temptation to devour it all within one weekend.

This is a story about two individuals living out their lives within the dehumanizing impersonal rat race of big city life in Paris. Life is short and often cruel, rarely sweet. Conformity to the social norms of urban living can be destructive to the individual. Such changes may be so gradual that they go unnoticed or seem only subtle or somehow less than important. One day circumstances conspire such that this man and this woman meet. Will anything come of it? I have said enough. :p :poke:

Last edited:
Just started The Last Stand by Nathanial Philbrick. Just finished Last Night in Twisted River, by John Irving.

Well...

Recently finished: 'The Lost City of Z - A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon' by David Graham. A mix of biography, autobiography, anthropology and archaeology.

Just into: 'Winter's Heart' Book 9 of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.

Next: 'Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens Our Future' by Chris Mooney and Sheril Kirshenbaum.

So tell me how was The Lost City of Z? I've heard of it and wondered if I should read it.

So tell me how was The Lost City of Z? I've heard of it and wondered if I should read it.

The balance between the story of the obsessed English explorer, the actual history of the Amazon peoples, and the author's experiences researching it all seemed a bit awkward. It made for a reasonably compelling read but I would have liked more of the Amazon, less of the Englishman (who I just didn't like), and much less of the author.

lately i have been reading the collective works of Edgar Allen Poe.

me too!:D i got this book from Costco of all places as an early Christmas gift last year. Poe is timeless.

Lost City of Z is a fantastic book.
I agree.

Next non-fiction book I'm considering is 'The Lost Bicyclist' about a fellow who decides to ride his 'safety' bicycle around the world. Of course he disappears somewhere in Turkey. Set in the 1890s (iirc) Some of the cycling pictures look very interesting.

Usually I read mysteries and thrillers. I've been re-reading the Logan McCrea series set in Aberdeen by Stuart MacBride.

The Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I hadn't read it since high school over thirty years ago. What an amazing difference it is to read the same book but with a whole lot of life experience behind me now. It's like I'm reading a different book.

^ Yeah, interesting how our perspective changes over time, eh? I haven't read Lord of the Flies for years either... I could read it again for sure.

My current read is "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Morntenson and David Oliver Relin. It's a good story (true) and not what I was expecting at all.

I'm also sort of reading "The Historian" by Elisabeth Kostova, but I hate blood and guts and I'm afraid she's going to launch into too many gory details about Vlad the Impaler and I keep putting the book down. What a wuss. :p

Back