What are you reading?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lack by Rebecca Skloot
She was a poor black tobacco farmer whose cells—taken without her knowledge in 1951—became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, in vitro fertilization, and more. It is an amazing book!!

I just finish the book "Hot Cripple" by Hogan Gorman in one reading .
It is a very good book to read for many reasons , you will laugh , cry, be angry ..and be moved by what the author went thru .

The Tao of Poo, and now I'm going to read The Tao of Pooh (Winnie the Pooh) and the Te of Piglet. Positive reads! Though the Tao of Poo is about exactly that, poo, and it had me rolling with laughter, yet inspired some positive thinking as well...

I'm alittle weird.... I like(kinda have too) to read auto service manuals.... Right now I'm reading up on Mini Coopers.

People Who Eat Darkness, by Richard Lloyd Parry. I'm almost finished, and really sorry to see it end....andamazing book, with a fascinating (true) story. Not just a great crime story, but a fascinating look at the police and criminal justice system in Japan.

I'll have to check that one out Eric, thanks for the tip.

Haphazardly rereading The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. Interesting stuff in there, mostly unbelievable, but the funny part is much of it is either based on research or scientific theory.

The Fifty Shades trilogy....wow....just, wow. :eek::eek::eek: Not going to be a 'classic' by any means but I just couldn't resist. :rollhappy:

The Bretheren by John Grisham. Don't bother. Big disappointment.
Just started " Botany of Desire " The apple, potato, pot, and tulips. How they manipulate people.

Dear God in heaven I couldn't resist the latest Dan Brown. Inferno. Despite not knowing a thing about Dante's Divine Comedy. Which may or may not help with backstory/allusions. But what am I thinking? Its Dan Brown, fercryin'outloud.

Dear God in heaven I couldn't resist the latest Dan Brown. Inferno. Despite not knowing a thing about Dante's Divine Comedy. Which may or may not help with backstory/allusions. But what am I thinking? Its Dan Brown, fercryin'outloud.

I read the former Browns, but not being english tongue, I cannot spot by your comment if to buy this one or not ..?? Jean

Believe it or not, in a remarkable coincidence with my condition, I'm reading Gulp. by Mary Roach....absolutely hysterical science book about the digestive tract.

I read the former Browns, but not being english tongue, I cannot spot by your comment if to buy this one or not ..?? Jean

I'm a few chapters in. So far its not holding my interest, but I expect that's becasue I usually don't like books that start out in the middle of a situation and you have to wait for it to unfurl to understand what's going on and how "our hero" got into trouble in the first place. I expect it to get thrilling. If you like Brown then try it. Maybe go to Amazon and see if you can read the first few pages online there to see if its to your taste.

My comment was that I was being silly, thinking a fuller understanding of Dante's Divine Comedy would be necessary in order to more completely appreciate 'Inferno'. However Dan Brown is an author of popular fiction so I doubt he'd allude to much that wouldn't be easy for the general public (like me) to understand. As opposed to authors like Umberto Eco or Iain Pears for example.

Recent reading:
Storm Warning by Billy Graham (excellent writing style)
The Silmarillion (a work of beauty)
The Wisdom of Psychopaths (suddenly I understand politics and why the world is in such a mess)
The Black Cloud (this the "The Old Man and the Sea" of science fiction: not a word out of place)
In Search of Memory by Eric Kandel. I finished last night. Very good read and it has inspired me in my scientific work.
Next up: Plato's Republic

Latest posts

Back