What are you reading?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiva, I will get there... but there is a lot of classic SciFi to wade through. I forgot to include Day of the Triffids in the above list... The movies and miniseries SUCK. The book is so much richer.

I mostly buy 2nd hand books off ebay etc... as its cheaper. Its nice to give a book a 2nd chance to live. My The Republic looks like it has been through hell---oddly in its 50 year life in the "Hostel of the Resurrection" library it was only taken out once. What a shame.

sorry to say, but I am reading a better book than all of the rest of you! It was the all time best score on the auction. Frederick Sander, The orchid king. Incredible read, so much info on a subject close to my heart, it will take a number of reads to absorb it all. Wow!

Speaking of Sci-Fi, I just finished reading a book by Jonathan Stars, called N-hanced. I've heard several things on the news lately that make his scenario not too far a-field. He has a website about it: http://www.n-hanced.com/ If you like Sci-Fi, you won't be able to put this book down either.

I rarely read novels these days, but I'm reading a good one now- The Signature of All Things, by Elizabeth Gilbert. Its about a 19th century woman who's a botanist. While her specialty is mosses, there is a lot of stuff about orchids. Very entertaining.

Finished One Summer, by Bill Bryson, now about to finish The Neanderthals Rediscovered, by Dimitra Papagianni and Michael Morse.

Empire of the Summer Moon by SC Gwynne
Details Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History.
Quite an eye opener.

Re-reading Lord of the Rings, and I'm in the first book now. I decided to read it again, since I read it when I was about 16-17, and I really didn't like it that much (I thought it was an okay trilogy, but not amazing in any way). Now, I'm reading it in English for the first time, and since it has been so long since I read it, it feels like reading it for the first time again.

So far, I feel that the beginning is quite unfocused. Mr. Tolkien had a bad habit of including a whole lot of unnecessary information that slows the story down. I do like it so far though, better than last time, and I love the fact that the English language has changed so much since this book was written. Tolkien uses words that have completely other uses nowadays, and it's quite charming to read.

We'll see if I like the LotR trilogy better this time around (btw, those ring wraiths should be fired, due to being the most failed evil lackeys in the history of evil henchmen... Sauron needs to find some better baddies). :)

I need to re-read Tolkien. Now I'm slugging through Winston Churchill's 3-volume work about British involvement in WWII. Lots of letters and memos reproduced verbatim makes it slow going.

Latest posts

Back