What are you reading?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved those. Also the series set on Venus where John Carter's nephew builds a rocket to travel to Mars to find his uncle, however he forgets to calculate the pull of the moon, and so spins over to Venus instead

what were some book names from this series? I can download the e-books
edit - I didn't find any free copies like the barsoom series, just tarzan and mars

Last edited:
Band of Brothers, Stephen Ambrose. I love watching the end of the miniseries where they reveal who the men being interviewed are. I have a ton of respect for those men. Recently read Inside Hitler's Bunker by Joachim Fest. Wow, those were crazy times. Its a period in history that reads more fantastical than fiction. You couldn't make it up if you tried. I like the psychological study of why people do what they do.

Also, my Bible, various assorted scientific papers and killifish journals. I just finished "Is Jesus and Evolutionist" by Mike Anderson.

You must read Maimonides then. I read pretty all that was translated, that's substantial, but you can choose one of his medical work, or the famous more accessible Guide for the perplexed. Fascinating work from the XIIth-XIIIth Century.

He does not speak anything about Jesus, being a Jewish Rabbi, but his way of thinking about the religion is highly interesting, and could be applied to Christianism as well and modern science. He was a medical medieval doctor as well, widely acclaimed including by the Muslims and many Christians for his philosophy.

( as an aside, I am not Jewish...)

I'm currently rereading the Aubrey-Maturn novels by Patrick O'Brian. Right now I'm on H.M.S. Surprise.

I checked a few gutenberg sites, but no sites had copies of this series. I wondered if maybe they weren't old enough but then again maybe because they aren't as well-known nobody had bothered to transcribe them yet?

actually I just found four of the five at project gutenberg australia; the fifth is still under copyright thanks!

Something similar. Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers (Martin Evening). The photographers bible for photoshop. Currently reading the excellent chapter on processing RAW files.

David

Would you recommend to a friend? I have not photoshop'd much, just spot healing, for some dandruff-like particles.

Right now-
Business and Legal Forms for Photographers by Tad Crawford

I read mostly science stuff from the electronic version of the magazine NewScientist. I'm interested in everything from space an cosmology to philosophy, environment, technology etc. Lots of interesting articles like the curent title: The grand delusion: Why nothing is as it seems.

I got a Kobo eReader for Christmas and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I will read most anything....I just love reading. Right now I am into golf books. My current book is Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect by Dr. Bob Rotella. Great book on the mental aspect of the game....for those of you who also play golf. :D

Reading The Wild Coast by John Gimlette, about the Guiana's...Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana. Very interesting!

I'm currently reading the 2nd book in the series "A song of Fire and Ice" by George R. R. Martin. The books name is "A clash of Kings." I bought a boxed set containing the first 4 books so that's still more then 2000 pages to read till I've completed the box. 5th book is allready published and the 6th is written as we speak.

I'm a big fantasy fan myself and I actually enjoy the low fantasy setting of this one. It's a change to the standard fantasy setting were the whole world is overrun with elfs, dwarfs, gnomes and faeries.

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. Its more funny than Name of the Rose and more enjoyable than The Mysterious Flame of Queen loana. I think, in the end, I will have enjoyed the Name of the Rose more.

The previous books I read: Bad Ideas?: An Arresting History of Our Inventions by Sir Robert Winston. It is incredibly well written for a "science" book.

Not sure whats next. I have several unread books on my bookshelf.

Loved both books. Foucault's Pendulum is more challenging and intellectual, Name of the Rose is simply so much more fun.

Just got Paphiopedilum Species, The Essential Guide by Oakeley & Braem, so I'm reading that. Sam Tsui is selling them at the Grand Rapids show this weekend.

Latest posts

Back