The growing areas MEGATHREAD!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of white stuff on the plants, especially on the laelias and catts' undersides. They look like bad cases of mealy bug infestation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, i'm so stupid as to not be able to recognise an infection and would just leave it...

it is water.

Manhattan greenhouse

One of the problems w/ collecting and adding to the collections in the NYC area is the lack space. A studio apartment in Manhattan [that's one or two rooms w/ no seperate bedrom] can go for $1,800/mo. That's why if people need to make room they can always contact me Lien [hint hint]. :poke:

i thought they might have been citrus mealies too, but it could also be the reflection of the flash...

think its time to 'share' my growing area with you guys.. =) I grow most paphs hanging, for maximum aeration... Brachys, multifloras and section paphiopedilum are all grown hanging, but barbatas are on the ground.i grow in a mix of chopped leaves of the boston fern (its really good, but it must be dried, to get rid of fungus...), laka(burnt clay balls), sphagnum, perlite, brick, charcoal and a little soil. i use varying proportions for different species... by the way, you may be able to spot some nepenthes and bulbophyllums too... :D oh, i forgot... the last pic are my seedlings, put on a small metal rack so snails can't get them...

Attachments

• GA1.jpg
    GA1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 157
  • GA2.jpg
    GA2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 89
  • GA3.jpg
    GA3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 69
  • GA4.jpg
    GA4.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 81
  • GA5.jpg
    GA5.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 83
Another more fortunate grower. Well the blessed weather in NYC finally went away and it was 16 degrees F., last night. Maybe the cool will inspire my plants to bloom!

well... the weather here can be rather unpredictable.... although malaysia is tropical, it still experiences some degree of weather change.. usually i will have to shift my plants when the hot dry season comes... now is rather rainy, so i have to check for snails... ggrrr!!! those slimy things keep crawling over the pots and leaving their disgusting trail of slime. luckily they didn't eat my paphs.....

Two of my growing areas

These used to house my leopard gecko breeding colonies. Now they house my orchids. The top case has two 24" light fixtures with two tubes each. The bottom one has a single two tube fixture. The tubes in the top one are nearly worn out and need to be replaced. The very bright white walls really help the light get to the plants. The mottled leaved paphs love it. I am just starting with the strap leaves. If anyone is interested I can try to list the plants in each case but it is constantly changing, MOSTLY by addition but I am starting to remove some of the plants that are not in my interest.

I also have a glass shelved, tubular steel rack in our dining area that faces east.

Attachments

• Orchid-Cases.jpg
    Orchid-Cases.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts

Back