The growing areas MEGATHREAD!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather said:
Cool!
Just make sure that velcro is going to hold.

I invested in the "heavy duty" velcro strips. Actually, the velcro was probably the most expensive item per pound. I tried to remove one of the lights to adjust the cord length and I couldn't pull it off! I was convinced the plastic was going to snap before the velcro gave up.

I have no comment about the animal ears thing. I don't know what Zach is talking about. ;)

I see that Chris has discovered that the key to making plant related purchases while having a significant other is to simply use the word "invest" instead of "buy."

kentuckiense said:
I see that Chris has discovered that the key to making plant related purchases while having a significant other is to simply use the word "invest" instead of "buy."

I convinced her that the lights were perfect for her indoor herbs. Very soon after, I relinquished a "small" space on one of my shelves. Gotta give a little to get a little my friend.

Heather, I couldn't find the lights on Lowes.com but I did find them elsewhere. They are from Lights of America and are sold at various retailers.

http://www.energyfederation.org/loa/default.php/cPath/586_587

Everyone's growing areas look great--and they're all so different! Whatever works, right?

So, a word of caution (so you don't think you're really drunk or going blind), I've got nothing in between my crappy cell phone "camera" and my 35mm. I'm going the quick and tacky route:

North-facing bedroom window for lower light paphs, phals and misc. You can't really tell from this early-morning shot, but it's bright enough to bloom some Epi. species hung close to the window:

bedroomplants.jpg

Tiny north-facing living room window with low light angraecoids:

lowlightangraecoids.jpg

Enormous, east-facing living room window with light-loving paphs and phals, catts, high light vandaceous, rupicolous laelias...this shows about half the space:

somelivingroomorchids.jpg

The best part is that everything is up on blocks, giving our place the classy flare of the outdoor portion of a Home Depot garden center. :p

I was just going to comment on the watering regime, but you beat me to it. That's a load of plants you got there. I'm likin' that large window.

Well... with winter here, i've had to move all the outdoor plants into the greenhouse, which means it's STUFFFFFED...here are some pics.

The general "slipper area". Of course there are others added in here and there but it's mostly slippers.

sgh1.jpg

The crowded area, mostly cattleyas and "misc.". These were all outside until the winter. I hope they survive the winter so cramped.

Look Heather! Old spikes/sheaths that need to be cut!
cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

cat3.jpg

cat4.JPG

lienluu said:
Well... with winter here, i've had to move all the outdoor plants into the greenhouse, which means it's STUFFFFFED...here are some pics.

Pffft. You need more plants. I can still see the walls of the greenhouse.

:)

Looking at how full your greenhouse is makes me think I'd better stop dreaming about getting one. I'm afraid it would get so full I couldn't move around and take care of them. And you know, we always want one more...

any time my wife complains that I have too many orchids, I'm showing her this thread. that'll buy me at least ten minutes, right?

Latest posts

Back