Stinky beauty...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Stapelia grandiflora in bloom.. :) Bought 2 small thumb pots of it from a nursery near my home. It was without flowers at the time and I expected it to be S. gigantea, but it turned out to be grandiflora instead.. Flower is a bit small but I expect it to bloom better next time. The entire flower is covered in long pink hairs.. So cool.. :p :D Enjoy!
Stapeliagrandiflora1.jpg

Stapeliagrandiflora2.jpg

Stapeliagrandiflora3.jpg

Stapeliagrandiflora4.jpg

Its a succulent. Stapelia gigantea, the corpse lily, and stapelia variegata, the star cactus, are the 2 most famous species. The star cactus is a pretty common windowsill pot plant, but does not thrive under my conditions. This one seems to do well..

Stapelias are cool, even if they stink to high heavens :D

I love the pink fluff on yours!

I like it! Very fuzzy, you almost want to pet it!

Is this a cactus species?

Very interesting a pretty flower.

It is succulent asclepiad or a species of the family Asclepiadaceae, which in common english is the "Milkweed Family". Our common milkweed (native to North America) is a member of this family. Other species in this family are Hoya, Stephanotis and I think one of the coolest members: Ceropegia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceropegia

Robert

I like it! Very fuzzy, you almost want to pet it!

It is succulent asclepiad or a species of the family Asclepiadaceae, which in common english is the "Milkweed Family". Our common milkweed (native to North America) is a member of this family. Other species in this family are Hoya, Stephanotis and I think one of the coolest members: Ceropegia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceropegia

Robert

Thanks Robert The foliage looks allot like the "Christmas cactus" which are cactus, but this is a bizzare milkweed.

Latest posts

Back