So who are you and what do you do?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Eric! I think there must be a connection with orchids....we rule! Take care, Eric

I am not the most prolific poster but do read ST often. I am 43, live in Norfolk, VA and getting married soon. Wish me luck -when we get past the planning phase, the rest will be easy. The future wife loves everything about the process of getting married - I am hanging in there. Take a read and easy with the jokes...

http://www.print2webcorp.com/news/vapilot/celebrations/20070318/p2_a1.htm

I have been growing orchids on and off for 15 years - and recently got back into the hobby. Grow mainly paphs (parvis and parvi hybrids) and phals - planning a greenhouse and grow room to be completed in the fall. I really enjoy working on my small pond (fish, bog area with CP's and cyps) and lifting weights. I have a degree in geology - never really used it to make money but love all science.

Love to see orchids in the wild - Belize, Costa Rica twice and looking forward to seeing some cyps growing in areas other than my backyard.

Nice meeting you guys.

Future wifes pretty hot, Congrats Tony and welcome to the forum :clap:

From last year (May 20th) by the end of the year it was almost out of control and will have to prune heavily. The iris's in the top pond/filter were over 4ft tall!

It is now 2 years old and starting to settle... the pink flags in the foreground are where my CP's are. I dug a hole and lined it with 6 mil poly and filled with sand and peat. They are staring to show some spring time growth - so I did not screw them up. My cyps are in another part of the yard and are starting to poke out of the ground... I will post pics when/if they bloom.

052006006.jpg

Well. Blake, maybe I should explain that I grow the viruses in my laboratory in cell cultures and embryonated SPF (Specific Pathogen Free) eggs. My lab is responsible for certifying that SPF eggs for vaccine production meet USDA, FDA and European Pharma standards for freedom from about 35 viruses, bacteria and mycoplasmas. We also do the same for a Pharma company that is producing pharmaceutical agents in transgenic chickens. Hopefully a little less scary.

Heather, Friesians rule. Had to have one good looking animal in the photo! They are still uncommon in North America with less than 600 registered last year, most still being imports. After years with other horses that I adore, the Friesians have become almost a rebirth for us. We have five imported adult mares now, all ster ranked and one beautiful yearling filly, with two Goffert foals due this spring. Goffert was the model for the new Friesian Breyer, but very unfortunately died this late winter from a colic attack. If anyone wants to see what Friesians look like, go to you tube and search under Goffert, there are several tributes to him - the 8+ minute one is the best because it contains a Funeral pagent with Friesians from the Netherlands in the second half. Say what you want about Martha Stewart, but the lady raises Paphs and Friesians, so we think she has good taste, at least.

ohio-guy said:
Oh, and by the way, my first name is Eric, which seems to be one of the more popular names of the members of this forum. I have seen at least 3 other regulars who share my name , and a couple occasional posters too.
Do you think our interest in slipper orchids was somehow pre-ordained?
Eric
Wise parents!

I'm Mattias Norén, from Sweden. 34 years old.
Married to Liselott, and we have two sons, André 4 and Alex 2.
I have my own business, creating CD artwork mostly for Metal Albums.
www.progart.com

I'm a Paph fanatic :)
Here's my collection
www.progart.com/paph

I have even built a green house indoor in our basement.
Sounds a bit strange perhaps but it works great :)

My wife loves orchids too thank god, even if she prefers a more mixed collection with Cattleyas, Phals, Dendrobiums, Vandas etc.

suss16 said:
Love to see orchids in the wild - Belize, Costa Rica twice and looking forward to seeing some cyps growing in areas other than my backyard.

Nice meeting you guys.
My mom is in Chesapeake by the intercostal waterway. Maybe I can get her to plant some Cyps so you can see them in someone else's backyard!:p

Very cool art Mattias! Snowbound reminds me of the farm my grandparents owned.

But where are the prints of your orchid art?

Latest posts

Back