So who are you and what do you do?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mahon said:
...same here, didn't see this thread until today...

Well, most of you know me (some of you hate me, no matter)... I'm 17, senior in high school. I am a Seaman Apprentice (E2) in the US Navy's Advanced Electronics Computer Field (AECF/AEF)... I am being shipped out July 18th next year...

As for orchids, I have only been growing 7 years. I am an orchid Taxonomist and have studied with many top researchers and authorities. My approach to Taxonomy is Synthetic Systematics; I don't like to limit science to a single accepted idea... The primary genera I have been "re-constructing" are those found under Subtribe Zygopetalinae.

Native Florida orchids are my real efforts in propagation... the diversity within these native species can produce stunning and more floriferous forms not seen in the wild. Outcrossing different forms from different locations increases the diversity more and more in these species... After propagating these species, I plant out the strongest and best plants for re-introduction in the wild... the other plants are usually still growing or are sent out to people to be grown in cultivation (to lessen the rarity of the species)... I have been criticized for my efforts in propagating these native species and re-introducing them back into suitable habitats, as the plant would have to originate from the "wild".

As for cultivation, mostly Pleurothallids and Paphiopedilum make up my collection. There are still a few rare or "wierd" species growing around, and all of my specimen orchids...

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it... =)

-Pat

Thanks for serving my country that I dearly love and the people that make it great. You rock.

As usual, it’s late or never for me.

I’m Robin, and I recently turned 30 (but I still get carded!). I’m from a little town in southwestern Michigan on beautiful Lake Michigan about an hour and a half from Chicago. I’m a professional artist (yep, ~14% self-employment taxes and all) with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. I’m still interested in all the other subjects I studied there, including Northern and Eastern European literature, mythology and folklore…and of course, art history—especially Asian art history. I grew up surrounded by Ukiyo-e prints and things my mom brought with her from Hong Kong (she’s Caucasian but lived there for many years).

I grew up helping my mom plant every Japanese maple, hosta, bulb, choice perennial and evergreen under the sun. She’s done such a remarkable job that people actually park out front and wander around the property (much to my dad’s irritation). I was made fun of in high school for always being out in the “yard” helping her!

My interest in orchids, tropicals and succulents started with my first trip to my alma mater’s conservatory—Matthai Botanical Gardens. I didn’t buy one of my own until I’d graduated and realized I probably had the skills to keep it alive. I started out with a clearance, semi-alba, out-of-bloom phal for ten bucks—I still have it too! As you might guess, a lot of my art is orchid-inspired, a contemporary take on them if you will.

After I graduated U of M, I got married and moved to Detroit with my husband who was working on his M.D. in Pathology / Ph.D. in Immunology. (He’s on the research end of medicine rather than the “open your mouth and say ahhh” end.) We lived in a high rise building downtown with enormous windows that begged me to fill them with orchids and other plants, so that’s just what I did.

He turned down residency/fellowship offers in San Francisco and Baltimore to move to St. Louis (I guess you can’t do better in the U.S. for immunology research), so that’s where we’ll be for five years. Lucky for me, there’s a huge urban park and a great botanical gardens here (I’m sure PHRAG will back me up on this) and lots of light for growing orchids. My husband walks three blocks to his job at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in the morning and I work at my drawing board and computer all day.

We are purposefully childless at this point, instead devoting our free time and bits of cash (debt-laden residents and artists aren’t exactly flush) toward our inane hobbies like orchids, comic books, fancy goldfish (Demekins and Ryukins) and our two spoiled black cats.

ROBIN!!! Where were you when I started the comic book thread and felt so alone when nearly nobody responded? I buy hardcover collected editions at this point because I got tired of hauling floppies around, but I have a good sized graphic novel collection. I also have some original comic art and signed lithographs.

And sadly, I never got the chance to visit the Missouri Botanical Gardens. When I lived in St. Louis, I was a poor college student trying to cut it in the big city. Orchids weren't a priority then, but I plan on making it back someday.

If you ever decide you want to market some paintings on slippertalk, feel free. I have been thinking about getting a Paph philippinense commission at some point in the future, so if you take requests maybe we can set something up.

I just bought some contemporary Japanese art prints from a gallery in Tokyo and the process was so easy, I plan on ordering more. Woodblock prints have always been a fascination of mine. I have some printmaking supplies now, and I am trying to work up the inspiration to start printing again. I did alot of it in high school and college, but got distracted once I took my first ceramics class. I had a wheel and kiln for three years, and hope to again someday.

Hrrm. Maybe it's time for an art appreciation thread.

Ha ha, didn't even see that thread! I check things here in fits and starts. It actually has a lot to do with whether I'm working on a painting because I feel like it or knocking out a commission (yes, I take requests--lots of requests!). That's a nice offer from you regarding posting work here. My last slipper painting was the malipoense in my new avatar. It sold to a paph vendor at the Illinois Orchid Society show a few weekends ago. (I was there with a stack of my art helping a good friend with his exhibit and sales table.)

I like comics, especially Vertigo titles and X-Men, but it's my husband who is an out-of-control fan. He's always dying to talk about them--I think I'm going to pm you his email address! I believe he’s over the 3,000 mark at this point…he’s been collecting them since he was little.

One of the things I like about the gardens here is that it's free to go once you pay $60 (I think it was around that) for an annual membership. That gets you and a guest in all year. We're without a car these days (with things within walking distance and a good light rail it's possible), so we take the bus there once every couple weeks or so...got “stuck” there Sunday waiting for the bus which was supposed to come on the half hour and didn't for almost two. Their koi are about three feet long and you can feed them! That's worth getting stranded for in my book.

As long as you have solid references of your philippinense (and I’m guessing you do), I can definitely do something with it. (Mine bloomed last year and I don’t expect another spike until next.) I usual ask for a few because very rarely does one image tell the whole story. I like having as much visual information as possible so I can pick and choose what to emphasize.

This is my absolute favorite woodblock print of all time. I’ve been searching for a reproduction of it for years with no luck. If you ever see one, please let me know: http://www.hiroshige.org.uk/hiroshige/100_views_edo/images/100_views_edo_118.jpg

I have seen all the 100 Views prints, but they can be hard to find for sale. I will keep an eye out.

I want this one by Koson...

http://www.allinsongallery.com/koson/flowerplum2.jpg

And had the opportunity to buy one on eBay a while back. It went for a few hundred dollars, and I wasn't convinced I wanted to spend that for a reproduction print. Then I saw what they go for through galleries. YIKES! So I am back to watching eBay. :)

This is the gallery I bought from in Tokyo, and the work of Hajime Namiki.

http://www.kandaboq.com/namitop.htm

namiki32.jpg

namiki35.jpg

The one you posted a link to is simply spectacular. I can see why you want it so badly! The other two are lovely as well, though I think I prefer the first of the two; it's more ethereal (imo).

I got to see my fav at The Met last year. It took me by surprise too--I didn't even know they had one of them in their collection.

I am purposely avoiding jumping into this thread because my life is so scattered at this moment, but... on comic books, I have been collecting since the 70's. I have a large collection of Jack Kirby, Richard Corben, Frank Miller and other artists. Not a lot of original art yet but as my priorities change and I get less involved in tournament paintball [getting to old to outrun the youngsters] and model trains [need to back out as head of a club] I will probably try to get more. :p

Yep, and when I master cutting and painting and adding links I will attach them. Next week {Nov. 8-12, 2006] the World Cup for paintball is in Kissimee, Fla. at Disney Wide World of Sports. About 300 teams in 2 different formats. Loads o' Fun! :rollhappy:

Robin,

re: the botanic garden membership. If you are an AOS member, many botanical gardens offer reciprocal membership to their gardens and Missouri Botanical Garden is one of them. Free admission to AOS members and 10% off in the store. That made it worthwhile for me to join AOS because my local garden honors it as well.

Thanks for the info, Heather! I got an invitation to advertise in their magazine recently and I've been tempted regarding all of it...I've got friends pushing me to start in the judging program too. I dread that becoming not fun though. My aesthetics don't always check out with theirs. That's a nice deal though. I know for a fact my SO considered me getting me an AOS membership for my birthday instead of more AbFab dvds. As it stands, I can paint orchids with a relaxed background of Patsy, Edina and insanely loud apartment refurbishments next door.

I am almost 24 (late April). I got my Mechanical Engineering B.S. from University of Virginia (UVA) in 2005, and I am currently in my 2L year at UVA Law. I grow in three big windows in my apartment (lots of light from the south:)). This is my fourth year growing, and I have ~55 orchids. Most of these are Paph species, but I have a few other things that have caught my eye.

Last edited:
It's been a while since this thread started, so let's update.

I am 30. I have multiple brothers and sisters. I used to design websites. I have owned a bookstore. I am married to a woman named Brandy. We are currently living in Phoenix, AZ. Her job requires us to travel to different cities.

UPDATE:

I started school in January to become a Respiratory Therapist. I will graduate sometime in the Fall of 08, and if I pass two certification exams, I will be qualified to examine patients, hook people up to respirators, analyze arterial blood gasses, perform pulmonary function tests and many other exciting things. In short, I will not be a doctor*, but I will play one for the ladies :drool:

*In order to become an actual Doctor, I would need many more years of school and fewer brain cells. :)

Oh yeah, I grow Neofinetia falcata, Aerangis, Angraecum, species Phalaenopsis and a few odds and ends.

Okay, I'll play.

I'm 35, single, and just changed jobs and moved for the fourth time in a year. I still grow multi floral paphs and phrag. besseae species and hybrids.

I am now working in the Development Dept. at the New England Wild Flower Society, where we have just gone through the re-branding process.

We are not NEWFS, nor are we New England Wildflower Society.

We are all about going NATIVE and being WILD. Two things I can get behind. :D

Ki,
That's definitely what I thought when I applied, but I am keeping myself open to other types of law as well. Since coming to law school, I have found that several fields are surprisingly interesting, such as bankruptcy, mergers, and administrative law. This summer, I may be assigned to some patent work. If I click with the material, I will take the patent bar; if not, then I will pursue other interests. Right now, I am trying to get as many different experiences as possible.
Are you in the patent business?
~P

Per said:
Right now, I am trying to get as many different experiences as possible.

Definitely a good approach. It's not easy to switch once you're out. I do soft IP - trademarks and copyright.

Back