paph thaianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy

lovely, can you show the whole plant, please?

right now i don't have any great up close photos of the foliage. it is worth doing right and we will be posting a vid on our yt in a couple days. i will try and post up some good still of the leaves here then as well. but its got 5 leaves, all about 6-7 cm long and 1.5-2 cm wide. dark green overall with some minor lighter green mottled spots. not a whole lot of mottling, but still a nice foliage plant

Howdy

right now i don't have any great up close photos of the foliage. it is worth doing right and we will be posting a vid on our yt in a couple days. i will try and post up some good still of the leaves here then as well. but its got 5 leaves, all about 6-7 cm long and 1.5-2 cm wide. dark green overall with some minor lighter green mottled spots. not a whole lot of mottling, but still a nice foliage plant
Closeups aren’t necessary, necessarily. We want to see the whole plant. Flower is part of it too. Anyway, congratulations on your success!!!

well, as a shameless plug (i hope its ok on here), and to update this thaianum thread, it bloomed with like only 2 leaves this year...i guess that's good?

here is the screenshot of the vid on our channel if wanna see it get the pouch chopped off :)

if some of you gurus would care to check it out and give us some feedback on our pollination technique and plant choices, that'd be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 05.49.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 05.49.31.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
[...]
if some of you gurus would care to check it out and give us some feedback on our pollination technique and plant choices, that'd be much appreciated!
I always leave the pouch on when pollinating. No problems so far.

hey katzen, yes, we would like to get there and not have to destroy the flowers. how can you see if you got the pollen in the right spot? is it just by feel and experience?

thanks!

hey katzen, yes, we would like to get there and not have to destroy the flowers. how can you see if you got the pollen in the right spot? is it just by feel and experience?
I pull flap A backwards, then flap B and then apply the pollen with a toothpick by rubbing it on the stamp. Then push both flaps back again. Isn't that how it is described in the manual? 😄 Flaps A and B are the two strips located between the stamp and staminodium and belong to the pouch.

So far this has always gone well. Only with a P. canhii it may not (not long ago). Firstly because the flower is so small and secondly because the pollen is therefore less and I only had one pollen left. We will see...

@tmoney The pouch is much more flexible if you have placed both "flaps" behind the stamp. Its more difficult than the simple way of cutting off the pouch - but it looks much better especially because the flower stays on for quite a while before it withers on its own if the pollination was successful.

thank you for the description, we will try this next time! and from now on, if it doesn't work we can just blame you!!! perfect :)

Back