So who are you and what do you do?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'll be the 121st!

My name is Dave and I'm an orchid addict. I live in Edmonton, which is the capital city of Alberta - Canada's sunniest province. Edmonton has a population of 730,372. At 264 square miles it covers an area larger than Chicago, Philadelphia, Toronto or Montreal and gives us one of the lowest population densities in North America. I have been in the food industry all my life and for the last 3 years teaching Culinary Arts at NAIT. My wife is an EA at an engineering company and licensed massage therapist. We have 2 beautiful girls 3.5 yrs and 5 mths.

Although I did not know it at the time, I started collecting orchids in 1985. After reading an article about Plants by Mail-order I sent away for some catalogues from Canadian Orchid Growers. Reading their catalogues was like reading a good novel; a story that deserved to be read over and over. After placing several orders and being fascinated by the myriad that existed I began to seek more.

Joining our local society, I soon discovered ways to acquire many more orchids. Local hobbyists selling their excesses, group orders from specialized nurseries in exotic locations, society show and sales and the WOC. Plants quickly began to occupy various areas of our home and I yearned for more. There were always more interesting flowers of different colors and scents needing purchase.

Soon the design of elaborate shelving units, light set ups with multiple bulbs, timers and automatic drainage systems occupied my waking thoughts. Any trip became an excuse for an orchid hunting expedition. An open air Jeep tour in Hawaii became an orchid safari. A Florida bound honeymoon allowed for poolside relaxation while waiting for orchid deliveries. Attending a World Orchid Conference became the sole goal of a trip to its location. I even considered ways to live and work in the US at any of the major orchid firms, dreaming of what a fascinating life one could have working for growers such as Fennels, Jones & Scully, Stewarts or Hauserman's.

After a purchasing a home plans began to erect massive greenhouses, schemes devised on the demolition of an adjoining property to allow its consumption into my grand vision. After a while a spark of reality burned through this mesmerizing haze and I was smacked hard in the face with the cold facts of Alberta, greenhouses and -35° C winters.

I had become aware of the craze that was consuming me. Orchids were my fix. My voice could often be heard....."I really need this one" or "that is so unique and now I have enough". But it was never enough - I was orchid drunk. If I going to get one plant, three would result. Multiple vendor sales equaled uncontrolled lust. Like a feeding frenzy, I gorged at every opportunity. Something had to be done.

My attention turned inwards and after many more years, I resigned myself to the non-commercial orchid grower lifestyle. My focus narrowed to 3 main alliances: Cattleya, Phalaenopsis and Cypripedium. Flasks and seedlings began sprouting up everywhere and growing within the comfy shelter of my basement. Slowly building to a selection of orchids that can be cultured for my interest and allow the excess to be sold as required.

That is the story of my addiction.

Oscarman said:
My name is Dave and I'm an orchid addict. ...That is the story of my addiction.
Good story, Dave. It has the makings of a good novel, at least for the rest of us orchid addicts. Welcome to the forum.

Who's next? me?.....ok...
Well, 51, ophthalmologist and profesor at Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia. I do also research at the Tropical Institute of Medicine (same UPCH). A widower after August 30, 2002, my dear wife passed away after brain cancer. Educated by the Jesuit School in Lima ( 1960-1972).
Living and working in Lima, Macchu Picchu (Aguas Calientes) and Moyobamba tha last 20 years. An orchid fan the last 35 years of my life. I thank God for the opportunity of living in a country of such a big biodiversity and wonderful natural scenary. Lots of orchids of course.
My fisrt orchids were C. rex, Stanhopea candida and Coryanthes macrantha. Since then i got the "infection". Have traveled many sites in my country and lectured about our orchids in Japan, US, Canada, Brasil, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland and lately Costa Rica. It has been a wonderful life experience to get to know so many good people verywhere.
Wish we could all work together to protect orchid habitats and natural wild species. Have 15 years experience with Orchid Conservation "in situ" at Macchu Picchu Protected National Sanctuary. Hope to have the opportunity to work with peruvian Phrags, Masdevallias, Maxillarias and of course Cattleyas, my personal favorites, C. rex leading the group.
If I can be of any help for your questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Isaias, I envy you being able to see the beauty of Macchu Picchu so often.

I was there many years ago. I have traveled a lot through South America, Europe, Canada, and the U.S. but I have never seen anything that impressed me with it's unspoiled beauty as much as Macchu Picchu. Im sure it has changed after so many years, (it was in the late 60's, before many of you were born) but the natural beauty and it's history will always be there. I wish I were young enough to go see it again.

Hopefully the accommodations and roads have improved since then.

Hello. I am fairly new to ST and a quiet reader of the posts :)

I am a member of the Miami Valley Orchid Society (Dayton, OH) with fellow ST'ers "Jon in SW Ohio" and "daveb".

My childhood and teen years were spent near San Jose, CA where my acheivements included CCS (Central Coast Section) football champions - division 3. I took over raising my father's large Cymbidiums during the High School years after he fell ill and was subsequently forced into retirement by Intel Corp. (long story there...)

Received my Undergrad degree in Forestry from the University of Missouri. During my enrollment at Mizzou, I gleaned a long-lasting interest and personal education in building and enjoying fast cars. I now reside in a NW suburb of Dayton, OH; after a short layover in St. Louis - where I met my reason for moving to Dayton. :) I am currently pursuing my MBA and she is pursuing her Doctorate in Physical Therapy. Oh yea, I will turn 31 in May...

I have a small backyard greenhouse which I built (the first iteration of) in late 2001. I recently ran inventory and have 188 orchids. Mostly Cattleyas, Phrags, and Paphs - but I try to maintain a decent variety of other genus' - recent purchases include a bunch of Parvi paph's and some of Leo's sanderianum seedlings. Eventually I would like my collection to consist of all Specimen size plants, but until I can get there it seems worthwhile to dabble in as much variety as I can squeeze into the greenhouse (literally at capacity now). I was recently the plant registration chair at MVOS's show - search the threads for some pics if you like (I sat in on the judging of 'Pink Puff' - big, impressive pouch compared to other recent liemianum AM's)

I sure hope to see/meet some of you at the MAOC in Chicago at the end of this month!!

-Robert

PHRAG said:
Very cool art Mattias! Snowbound reminds me of the farm my grandparents owned.

But where are the prints of your orchid art?

:)
I haven't done much orchid art. Just one cover with with a vanda I think.
I really must do a heavy metal cover with some angry paphs :rollhappy:

Hi
I'm 19 years old and sometimes I feel too young to be serious about orchids. So far my acedemic achievment is my completion of International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, which is the most prestigious and rigorous curriculum offered by Alberta Learning for pre-university studies. I am now currently studying at the University of Alberta earning a degree.

I don't remember exactly when my mom and I had our first orchid, but it was a pink noid phal. Perhaps it was when I was 10. I was already addicted at a young age, getting mom to buy those supermarket orchids and reading books. My deceased uncle was also into growing phals, and I have memories of his most beautiful large white phals. Many friends and indirect family have yet to know and understand that I aquired such a serious hobby, which has now grown over my other well known hobbies and interests from my childhood. (I don't think they would have thought I was into plants, but rather animals) There is more in the house than mom's windowsill supermarket phals which are usually seen by guests.

Currently I am most focused with the subfamily Cypripedioideae, which is why I am here, although I do grow other orchid genera. Slippers have an intruiging beauty that is unique from those of the conventionally elegant beauties of cattleya, phals and cymbidiums, and it's an unique beauty which my mother hasn't aquired a taste for yet (but my Phrag besseae is approved by her, yay!).

Last edited:
Fren- my youngest, who's 14, is in an IB school...the Baccalaureate School for Global Education....here in Queens.....its a public school, but its nice to know that he's having an international level of education....Take care, Eric

Cool Eric, he'll soon be doing similar things that I worked on. Many projects got sent internationally to be graded and there is an international bell curve too.

For me IB was definitely better than choosing to take the regular courses even though it is a lot more work. I had to complete two curriculums, both the IB dilpomas and the Alberta Learning dilpomas at the same time. I also self-improved in so many ways though my volunteer projects, and gained many life skills and experiences. It's also great that many universities around the world approve this diploma.
Only 11 students of my school completed the diploma and we were dressed in white graduation gowns rather than the normal black. We definitely stood out from the many black gowns! Many students decided not to complete every requirement for a IB diploma and recieved IB certificates instead. And I recieved a small scholarship from a bank:) My friends recieved many more scholarships!

Hi All, first post here.

I'm Chris from Sarasota, FL. I live in St. Pete, Florida. I obtained a BS degree in Chemistry and Marine Science with a minor in Biology from Eckerd College, and I'm currently working on a PhD in Paleoclimatology and Stable Isotope Geochemistry at the University of South Florida.

I don't grow Paphs, and don't really have an interest in growing them myself, but for some reason I love reading about them. An odd sort of fetish. I really only grow a small amount of bifoliate species Cattleyas and Bulbophyllum species. I'm very picky because I'm space and extremely budget limited. My grandfather and his family grew corsage Cattleyas in Bristol, RI for a floral business that operated for nearly 80 years, so my excuse for my addiction is that it's in the blood.

Cheers!

Welcome, ChrisFL! That is a new twist on being a slipper addict. I'd wager that someday you'll want to grow them.

Your studies sound interesting.

Well, here goes,

My name is Joseph, but my friends call me Joe. I'm about to start my senior year in high school and have been growing orchids (mainly slippers) since I was 10. It started out when I saw a picture of Cypripedium reginae while doing an elementary social studies project on the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island (whose provincial flower was Cyp reginae for a time). I had never seen anything like it before and it intrigued me, so I did a great deal of research on the genus and bought my first plant, a Cyp pubescens, that spring. With all the research I did the plant survived, and, encouraged, broadened my horizons into other genera. Today I am partcularly interested in the Paphiopedilum subgenus Parvisepalum; I am trying to collect all the species and primary hybrids for research and breeding, as well as personal pleasure :). Of couse, I have a never-ending list of other plants I want and space is running short... I've been very interested in plants my whole life and plan to get a doctorate in botany after high school. I am currently enrolled in the IB program.

That's a little bit about me!

Welcome, ChrisFL! That is a new twist on being a slipper addict. I'd wager that someday you'll want to grow them.

Your studies sound interesting.

Thanks SlipperFan. It may happen someday when I have more space. Pots take up a lot more room that cork and treefern slabs! I think its almost the people and the stories moreso than the plants. Seems like so much more intrigue in the Paph world.

Hi All, first post here.

I'm Chris from Sarasota, FL. I live in St. Pete, Florida. I obtained a BS degree in Chemistry and Marine Science with a minor in Biology from Eckerd College, and I'm currently working on a PhD in Paleoclimatology and Stable Isotope Geochemistry at the University of South Florida.

I don't grow Paphs, and don't really have an interest in growing them myself, but for some reason I love reading about them. An odd sort of fetish. I really only grow a small amount of bifoliate species Cattleyas and Bulbophyllum species. I'm very picky because I'm space and extremely budget limited. My grandfather and his family grew corsage Cattleyas in Bristol, RI for a floral business that operated for nearly 80 years, so my excuse for my addiction is that it's in the blood.

Cheers!

Whoops! Missed the one above Joe's.

Welcome Chris. I'll give you a challenge. Buy a slipper. Then see what happens. :evil:

Actually, I bet you'd do well with a Mexipedium. They can take the heat (from Mexico) and are the smallest slipper species (though they are stoloniferous so they do tend to be a bit parapatetic.)

Well, if you're willing to water them, supposedly some paphs (parishii and villosum come to mind) can do well mounted...sounds like work, but, its worth a try! Take care, Eric

Well, if you're willing to water them, supposedly some paphs (parishii and villosum come to mind) can do well mounted......

"lowii too, i've heard. i didn't know about villosum" he said in a casual voice, trying to disguise the way he just tried to bump the thread up...

actually, i don't think i've ever posted to this. i'm brian, i live in r.i. and work for a university in their research greenhouse/conservatory complex. i also consult for a nonprofit. the city lets us use a greenhouse in the second oldest cemetery in rhode island. we're a nonprofit dedicated to people with autism and related disorders. the ghouse is a work site for the clients and is retail and wholesale. we grow seasonal stuff (mums, poinsettias, easter lilies, annuals/perennials, then the cycle starts anew....).
and if i ain't immersed into plants enough, i'm currently the president my orchid society...

Back