Saint Swithin progression

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnyr5

Reaction score
It's about bloody time lol.
Threw two false sheaths before finally getting to the real thing.
I'll update as the spike moves along.
20151019_094607.jpg

My temps are about 75 during the day and 60 at night; I'm in Winter mode.

It is indeed a first bloom seedling. Parents are Roth 'New Horizon FCC/AOS' x philippinense 'Hilo Twister'. Not getting my hopes too high, as most NH progeny I've seen have been underwhelming.
This plant has one (obviously) mature growth, one 3/4 mature growth, one 1/2 mature growth, and two starts. LS is about 27" on the blooming growth, the next one looks like it will be bigger.

Question for you guys: Do you think keeping it in the shade to help elongate the spike will affect the bloom color at this point?

My temps are about 75 during the day and 60 at night; I'm in Winter mode.

It is indeed a first bloom seedling. Parents are Roth 'New Horizon FCC/AOS' x philippinense 'Hilo Twister'. Not getting my hopes too high, as most NH progeny I've seen have been underwhelming.
This plant has one (obviously) mature growth, one 3/4 mature growth, one 1/2 mature growth, and two starts. LS is about 27" on the blooming growth, the next one looks like it will be bigger.

Question for you guys: Do you think keeping it in the shade to help elongate the spike will affect the bloom color at this point?

not sure but i can't wait to see the blooms. the buds look like they will have nice color.

Can't help you there with the question, but what a lovely sight indeed! :)
Looking forward to some nice flowers.
Fingers crossed.

I've actually got a little flush of blooms on the way. Fowliei, sugiyamanum, venustum, tranlienianum, triple bella, & mystic isle are all in spike as well.

The only thing I have found that influences the color is Epson's salts. The higher the concentration the better the color within limits of course. It was most noticable in the Phrags, esp the green ones. At one heeping tablespoon per 50 gals of rain water a typical green Praying Mantis popped with maroons but I also got allot of distorted flowers in the Phrags only, mainly longifolium hybrids. I never saw any bad effects in the Paphs.

I have never heard of that.
Magnesium and sulfur both are important in the formation of chlorophyll along other functions in the plants, and your observation of green flowers could therefore has something to do with it.

Are you sure it wasn't coincidental with temperature drop or other changes??

Bob(?) Gordon, a big Phal grower from Calif in his day mention Epson's in the fall for better blooms and stronger colors.That was from the 80's and/or 90's.

He had a book in print and I believe he mentions Epsons there, as well as, on speaking tours. I don't remember him ever saying anything about a study done just something he stumble across.

Interesting. I do use a lot of MgSO4 in my fert regimen, and I do typically get above-average color, so my anecdotal evidence does support the hypothesis.

I use 25 ppm of Epson as a supplement more so on my S/H plants. My Paph SW is in sheath again (second flower) will compare the flowers if I get lucky.

Latest posts

Back