Saint Swithin progression

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For an SS with modern roth breeding I would expect a 5.5 or 6cm dorsal, I have been dissapointed with new SS I have been flowering as well

You rarely see a JB OR WBW with a ds under 5.5

Sounds like we have similar standards of excellence. I was hoping for a dorsal in the 5.5cm range, but, I'm content to wait for the next bloom to see that kind of size. My only disagreement is that I think it's unfair to judge Saint Swithin by the standards of the superior cross that is roth x anitum. Apples to oranges, and all that.

phil is a great hybridizer for vigor but poor parent for quality....only a few exceptions in my mind such as SS and some MK. Many SS turn out wonky but they have their own charm so it is a favorite of mine.

When I have room to grow them out I would love to make SS with phil 'Alford' and a modern roth (not that it hasn'r been done before but could be awesome with a great roth). Alford doesn't have huge flowers but the segments are very broad and the color is great.

This one looks like a keeper for form and color alone.

Oh, I'm definitely keeping it lol. The NS seems like it's settling around 20cm h x 18cm v
I have people who want to see it, so I can't be cutting spikes just yet. As you can see, it's a big plant with a huge root system, so it won't make much difference.
On the other hand, I do have some Chiu Hua Dancer pollen that I saved ...:evil:

Latest posts

Back