Pure venustum ‘fox catcher’ FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one was from Orchid Inn. It’s venustum ‘pink wings’ x ‘flat wings’. Sam says both parents have 75% ‘fox catcher’ in their breeding.
Your plant indeed inherited the good genetic programming, the parents' names were so apt . Your plant's petals are both so flat and pink, the pouch is so good too .

Your plant indeed inherited the good genetic programming, the parents' names were so apt . Your plant's petals are both so flat and pink, the pouch is so good too .
It is indeed an amazing specimen. The bloom has been open for 32 days now and is still just as stunning and the petals are still just as flat.

Update!! I emailed photos of the venustum ‘fox catcher’ FCC/AOS x self, and the venustum ‘pink wings’ x ‘flat wings’ to Sam from Orchid Inn, and he asked to use the photos on his web page!!! I said of course!!! I thought that was pretty cool!!

Jj, are you using RO?
Reverse osmosis? I use distilled water in the warmer months that I pick up from Walgreens, and in the colder months, I’ll use some hot tap water to mix with the now cold jugs of distilled water.

Another thing... all I use in ways of food or fertilizers, is Green Jungle, from Orchid Web, and I only use it in the spring and summer. I give them nothing in the fall and winter.

Thanks, just curious, do you know the TDS of your tap? The Ph?
No problem at all!! And no, I do not know. I don’t take it that serious. I just water, with mostly distilled water, and mix in the tap when it’s cold. I try not to take growing Orchid’s as serious as others. I water, give decent light, ceiling fan for air circulation, and experiment with mixes and higher moister, and have fun. If things have to be so complicated and technical, it takes the enjoyment out of a hobby and makes it a chore... just how I feel I guess. I think people would have better luck growing Orchid’s if they have the confidence to try new growing techniques and not stay in the “norms” of what we are told have to be done with growing.

Im always interested to know and learn from other growers. It is very seldom to see paph grower using a good amount of moss. And there are many reasons why it is seldom used. And one of them is the low pH of that medium. You did something that made the use of moss possible. I have a feeling your tap having high tds and pH has something to do about it in addition to your fertilizer.
One comment on that plant you posted above. You can see the oldest leaves are bigger than the new growths. Would it be nice if you can have those big leaves again? Very nice flower. Good growing...

Im always interested to know and learn from other growers. It is very seldom to see paph grower using a good amount of moss. And there are many reasons why it is seldom used. And one of them is the low pH of that medium. You did something that made the use of moss possible. I have a feeling your tap having high tds and pH has something to do about it in addition to your fertilizer.
One comment on that plant you posted above. You can see the oldest leaves are bigger than the new growths. Would it be nice if you can have those big leaves again? Very nice flower. Good growing...
I’m a very curious person as well. I love to learn new ways of growing and trying new things. As far as the tap water, I’d say with it mixed in in the winter, I’d say it only makes up about 15% of the yearly total water, so I don’t think that would make a big difference? I’m not too sure tho... like I said, I just have fun, like to try to do the complete opposite of what we are told not to do, and see what results I get. I always seem to get pretty good results, especially with the high sphagnum percentage. That’s probably the best thing that’s happened to the quality of foliage, flowers, and growth rate of my plants. Major improvements!! And yes, the older leaves are bigger, but that was due to them being in pretty low light for a year or two. Since I’ve had them in higher light, the leaves have been smaller which is to be expected, which I actually like better as well. I tend to like plants to be more compact, but what’s very satisfying to me about having venustum’s especially in higher light, is the red pigments under the leaves are way way better and stronger with higher light.

Maybe 15% is good enough, moss can keep those tds longer so tds could accumulate to a certain level.
If you like to try, experiment one plant without using any tap. That will answer your question and I would like to know the result. Should be very interesting.

Maybe 15% is good enough, moss can keep those tds longer so tds could accumulate to a certain level.
If you like to try, experiment one plant without using any tap. That will answer your question and I would like to know the result. Should be very interesting.
I’ve actually have wanted to try that, but the jugged distilled water gets too cold in the winter. Only way to use it purely, would be to microwave the distilled water. Lol

I’ve actually have wanted to try that, but the jugged distilled water gets too cold in the winter. Only way to use it purely, would be to microwave the distilled water. Lol
Just for a plant, have a separate sprayer and let it warm up near the plant the whole night then spray in the morning.

Just for a plant, have a separate sprayer and let it warm up near the plant the whole night then spray in the morning.
Ya that might be a good way of doing it. I might just try that! :)

Latest posts

Back