Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great update shots! The colors of Pk are just too nice! They look like royalty with all that purple, and then the bronze fuzz on the back side to set it off! Someday I'll get one..........

My dream cross would be Scarlet O'Hara x kovachi. Has anyone tried colchicine on kovachi to try & get some 4n plants?

When Peruflora started to sells PK flasks, they made a flasks list with all the crosses available and also provided informations about, of course PK, the nursery and, at the end of the document, it was mentionned that they had PK seedlings treated with colchicine that were growing in their greenhouses. But since then, i never heard anything of what happened with these plants.
Maybe someone knows more about that?

I would wonder what would be the purpose to trying to make 4n kovachii other than to try and breed with other polyploids... it's already a maxed-out orchid in terms of flower size, color, shape and growth

I would wonder what would be the purpose to trying to make 4n kovachii other than to try and breed with other polyploids... it's already a maxed-out orchid in terms of flower size, color, shape and growth

If you look at some of the older FCC besseae & then look at besseae 'Robs Choice'. Thicker, bigger longer lasting flowers plus crossing it to 2N plants to get a more stable 3N plant. Most of the 4N plants that I have seen aren't really that great but when you get that one in a million, well it would make somebody very happy & maybe a little bit of money.

I do understand that, but since kovachii is already most of those things over and above all other phrags, it just seems like it wouldn't be necessary. more of just doing something because it can be done rather than it really being necessary. kovachii already has huge flowers and can quickly become an unmanageable plant (needing bushel baskets to hold it once it gets going) and is very large in height and stature
... just a thought

I do understand that, but since kovachii is already most of those things over and above all other phrags, it just seems like it wouldn't be necessary. more of just doing something because it can be done rather than it really being necessary. kovachii already has huge flowers and can quickly become an unmanageable plant (needing bushel baskets to hold it once it gets going) and is very large in height and stature
... just a thought

One with 20cm flowers I would find room for it.

... just a thought

Other than size, 4N plants have flowers that are longer lasting (due to thicker petals), and the colors tend to be darker and more intense. One problem with kovachii flowers (and we are noticing it on our plant as well), is that when the flower first opens, the colors are very intense and rich, but unfortunately the colors do get lighter as the flower matures. If you can create a 4N kovachii, hopefully it will not fade as much, and the flower will last longer.

Robert

Other than size, 4N plants have flowers that are longer lasting (due to thicker petals), and the colors tend to be darker and more intense. One problem with kovachii flowers (and we are noticing it on our plant as well), is that when the flower first opens, the colors are very intense and rich, but unfortunately the colors do get lighter as the flower matures. If you can create a 4N kovachii, hopefully it will not fade as much, and the flower will last longer.

Robert

Thanks Robert
Do you know if anyone has tried it yet?

I saw this one in person, today. It's even bigger than what I was expecting from the photos. It's absolutely gorgeous!

I saw this one in person, today. It's even bigger than what I was expecting from the photos. It's absolutely gorgeous!

It was good to see you musiclovertony!

Here is a picture of the kovachii from today (Day 8). She is still holding her shape pretty well, but is starting to show her age, the petals are fading a little, and the first browning is starting to show up (It did not help that we keep moving her around to take pictures).

She still is 17 cm across, but her petals are now 9 cm wide!

Phragkovachii-small-312010.jpg

Robert

Robert,

Still looking good in her old age! When do you plan to harvest the pollen and make all the crosses you mentioned?

Best Regards,
Nik

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Robert & Jason, that is really a nice flower, and now the size is definitely up where it should be. Congrats. You have a beauty that is definitely worth breeding with, even if you are going for size. Yeowzer!

Latest posts

Back