Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should wait at least a week to take the pollen to give the flower time to show it's true shape and form. Would be good to know what the mature flower actually looks like wouldn't it?

Even if you take the pollen off, the flower will keep maturing. Taking the pollen off won't effect it (don't worry I won't rip the pouch off when I do it). With crossing Phrags, the pollen is most fertile within 48 hours after the bud opens, so that is why it is best to pollinate it then.

Robert

Even if you take the pollen off, the flower will keep maturing. Taking the pollen off won't effect it (don't worry I won't rip the pouch off when I do it). With crossing Phrags, the pollen is most fertile within 48 hours after the bud opens, so that is why it is best to pollinate it then.

Robert

Then you better hurry!
Is there also a time frame when the receptive flower is most fertile?

Incredible beauty and size of this flower, the perfection of it is to leave any one with his mouth open and drooling, CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Robert, your comments about the pollen and the receptive flower being most fertile within 48 hours of opening is very interesting and useful information. Thank you!

Robert,

I think that you and Jerry need to write another article for Orchids Magazine on this one. It really deserves it.

Best Regards,
Nik

Robert -beautiful form and color so far. Absolutely beautiful. But what is the natural spread now, last report was 15 cm? I hate to be a kill-joy, but am I correct in that the most kovachii were in the 16 to 18 cm range? possibly up to 20 cm? Or have I got it wrong? At 15 cm this is smallish for kovachii.

I also realize a first bloom seedling could be considerably smaller than a mature plant.

I can't get over the color intensity, wow. That is good color.

Wow gents, congrats on this one! That is just a gorgeous flower all around. I'm sure the pollen has been used by this point. Jason, I think your hair looks fine, these people just haven't been to Japan...

What's that huge Huperzia behind you, H. squarrosa?

Hey Tom,

Yes, that's a squarrosa... so they are called Huperzia now? I can't keep up! We've had that one for about 10 years now. Up in the corner is our severe macaw, Paco.

Leo,

You are probably right on the size. I know Chuck Acker's plant was in the 18 to 20cm range. I think it will still grow, but the overall shape and color are what I'm impressed with at this point!

My daughter is watching me and asking to make funny faces, so here she goes:

:rollhappy: :eek: :evil: :rollhappy:

Other crosses I would like to do are (and we have all of these in bloom at the moment):
Phrag. Haley Decker x PK
Phrag. Peruflora's Cirila Alca x PK
Phrag. Eumelia Arias x PK
Phrag. fischeri x PK
Phrag. Pink Panther x PK
Phrag. Jason Fischer x PK
Phrag. Mem. Estelle Getty x PK

Robert
OK, I'll take one of each thank you.
Any chance of Hanne Popow x Pk? There aren't many of them around.

wow!! that's a really great one, perfect shape and colours !!

the second best I have seen in pictures ...

Latest posts

Back