Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It finally opened!

It is fully open now, and it is way nicer than any picture I have seen of a Phrag. kovachii. The flower will probably expand more, and I am guessing it will eventually fold back a little, but I will keep posting pictures. Currently it is 13 cm across, with 7 cm wide petals.

Flower:

Phragkovachii-flowersmallsize-22320.jpg

Close up of the pouch and staminode:

Phragkovachii-pouchsmallsize-223201.jpg

whole plant:

Phragkovachii-plant-smallsize223201.jpg

Jason with the plant:

Jasonwithkovachii3-smallsize-223201.jpg

Robert

Very lovely! Is this the 'Laura' x 'Ana' cross?

According to prior photos and evidence, this flower should grow, get lighter in color and start to get a bit wavy. It will be interesting to see how it progresses!

No this is one of the Peruflora crosses. It is 'Tupac Amaru' x 'Goliath'.

Robert

Wow, Robert! This is a REALLy nice clone! I hope I get something as nice out of my seedlings. However, I'm really glad that you've got such a good one. No doubt, you and OL will put this plant's genes to good work in the future! Thanks for the frequent updates on this. It is very interesting to see it progress day by day.

So, what are you going to do with it? Are you going to put a capsule on this flower; or, do you consider the plant to be too young? Do you have Phrags in bloom now that you're going to put pollen onto? Or, are you going to store pollen for future crosses...which ones might we see in the future available at OL?

I just can't get over the spectacular shape of that flower. You all must be thrilled! I've seen a lot of kovachii photos up to now and I believe that this one is the nicest flower I've seen. Congratulations!!

p.s. You have the coolest avatar now!

Ok, all kidding aside, what's in the works? Hopefully Pk x Asuko Fischer or Pk x Mem. Estelle Getty!! :wink:

Luckily the pollinia of PK is pretty big, so form each pollinia you can make 4 crosses, so a total of 8 (plus 1, using PK as the Pod parent). Chuck sent us some pollen from his PK that just recently bloomed (same plant as last year), so we will put that pollen onto our PK, just to make the next generation PK's that will hopefully be more vigorous.

Other crosses I would like to do are (and we have all of these in bloom at the moment):
Phrag. Haley Decker x PK
Phrag. Peruflora's Cirila Alca x PK
Phrag. Eumelia Arias x PK
Phrag. fischeri x PK
Phrag. besseae x PK
Phrag. Pink Panther x PK
Phrag. Jason Fischer x PK
Phrag. Mem. Estelle Getty x PK

Robert

This just keeps getting more and more exciting!
That PK is unbelievably gorgeous! :clap::clap: Its amazing where good breeding can take a flower!

Latest posts

Back