Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truly astounding. Such great shape.

I hope that my kovachii that I purchased from OL will look as good. I usually kill most phrags, but kovachii seems to grow very well for me (it has two growths and is about 1 foot across). I hope that means that it will favor me with a blossom or two.

OK now you have me curious. When you say "most fertile" does than mean that more seed is produced or that the cross is more likely to set?

In general, it is more likely to set, if you make the cross within 48 hours. In the past (when I did not know too much about phrag breeding) I would make a cross with "older" flowers but I would hardly get a seed pod to take, later if I would remake the cross using "fresher" flowers all of a sudden the seed pods would hold. So know as a general rule of thumb I use fresh flowers (both for the pod parent and the pollen parent). I have noticed if you try using pollen from a flower that is older the pollinia will look kind of dried up, and won't stick as well.

Robert

Here are some pictures of the flower from today. Since I took the picture yesterday the flower has grown to 15.2 cm across, with 8 cm wide petals!

Phragkovachii-smallsize-242010.jpg

Phragkovachii-sideviewsmall-2242010.jpg

Phragkovachii-backsmallsize-2242010.jpg

Notice that part of the backside and the pouch are pure white! this means if they ever find an albino Phrag. kovachi it will be pure white!

Robert

My dream cross would be Scarlet O'Hara x kovachi. Has anyone tried colchicine on kovachi to try & get some 4n plants?

Thanks for the additional photos, Robert. So, with what you've said in mind about the age of pollen and flowers with respect to fertility, does that mean you've found stored pollen is not effective? Is there any point in storing pollen?

Thanks for the additional photos, Robert. So, with what you've said in mind about the age of pollen and flowers with respect to fertility, does that mean you've found stored pollen is not effective? Is there any point in storing pollen?

What I have said, only holds true for Phragmipediums. I have pollinated both Paphiopedilums and Phalaenopsis flowers successfully on flowers that were over 2 months old! Also I think the 48 hour window holds more true for the pod parent, and for when you would be using "fresh" (directly coming from the plant) pollen. If you would remove the pollen within 48 hours from the flower and store in in the fridge with a desiccant it would probably store for longer, but the longer you keep it, the less viable it will get. In general I don't store Phragmipedium pollen, but use it when it is still fresh.

Robert

What I have said, only holds true for Phragmipediums. I have pollinated both Paphiopedilums and Phalaenopsis flowers successfully on flowers that were over 2 months old! Also I think the 48 hour window holds more true for the pod parent, and for when you would be using "fresh" (directly coming from the plant) pollen. If you would remove the pollen within 48 hours from the flower and store in in the fridge with a desiccant it would probably store for longer, but the longer you keep it, the less viable it will get. In general I don't store Phragmipedium pollen, but use it when it is still fresh.

Robert

For the long petaled species (like popowii), do you also try to pollinate within 48 hours of a fully open pouch and sepals. That would curtail full petal development. Or do you wait for the petals to just about max out?

For the long petaled species (like popowii), do you also try to pollinate within 48 hours of a fully open pouch and sepals. That would curtail full petal development. Or do you wait for the petals to just about max out?

With the long petaled species, I think you can wait a little longer. I usually do wait until the petals have fully developed. With those I think anytime within a week after the buds have opened is fine.

Robert

How's it looking today, Robert? Any larger? Is it developing wavy petals? Is the strong colour holding?

Here you go:

Phragkovachii2252010.jpg

It is still growing! Currently it has a 16.5 cm spread with close to 8.5 cm wide petals! It is holding it's shape pretty well, and the color is still pretty intense.

Robert

It is still growing! Currently it has a 16.5 cm spread with close to 8.5 cm wide petals! It is holding it's shape pretty well, and the color is still pretty intense.

Robert

Excellent! I hope it continues to hold it's shape and colour as it grows. It's so-ooo nice just the way it is now.

Back