Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Our first Phragmipedium kovachii is about ready to bloom. I thought I would show you some pictures of the progression of the flower. We are all very excited to see it open. Thus far I know this will be the second kovachii to ever bloom (legally) here in the United States. Chuck Acker was able to bloom the first one last year, and I think that Glen Decker has a few in bud at the moment as well.

The bud last week (2/12/2010):
Phragkovachiibud2102010.jpg

The bud today: (2/17/2010)
Phragkovachii-budside-2172010.jpg

Frontal view today (2/17/2010):
Phragkovachii-bud-2172010.jpg

Whole plant:
Phragkovachii-plant-2122010.jpg

Robert

Robert,

the first two photos look identical. Or am I just imagining that? Anyway, it's definitely a thing of beauty! :clap:

Best Regards,
Nik

Robert,

the first two photos look identical. Or am I just imagining that? Anyway, it's definitely a thing of beauty! :clap:

Best Regards,
Nik

I had the wrong photo, it has been corrected.

Robert

Very exciting! After Chuck bloomed his kovachii, I have been eagerly anticipating photos of more clones coming into bloom. Robert, for reference, what size pot is that plant in?

Very exciting! After Chuck bloomed his kovachii, I have been eagerly anticipating photos of more clones coming into bloom. Robert, for reference, what size pot is that plant in?

I think it is a 6 or 6.5 inch pot.

Robert

well done, exciting!!

My biggest one should be blooming size next fall... I can't wait too !!

congrats. If you wouldn't mind commenting on your mix and watering schedule I would appreciate it. Thanks

Great to see. Is it common for kovachii to only have one flower to spike?

e-spice

As this plant is still relatively small, and a first time bloomer it will only have one flower this time. Chuck's plant was a lot bigger (with one extra growth) last year when it bloomed, and it had 3 flowers. I have seen pictures of kovachii with up to 4 flowers per spike!

Robert

congrats. If you wouldn't mind commenting on your mix and watering schedule I would appreciate it. Thanks

We have them growing in straight Diatomite (medium size), with some living moss on top of the pot. They are standing in water the whole time, so we never let them dry out.

Robert

Hello Robert.
Loved the last three AOS mags.

Qs:
Is this plant clearly growing ahead of the rest of the lot, or are others close in size?
Also, did any buds fail to bloom previous to this one?(I might of had an embarressing moment w/ a hybrid.)
Thank you.

Hello Robert.
Loved the last three AOS mags.

Qs:
Is this plant clearly growing ahead of the rest of the lot, or are others close in size?
Also, did any buds fail to bloom previous to this one?(I might of had an embarressing moment w/ a hybrid.)
Thank you.

Thanks! (Did you recognize some of the pics in the AOS mags? A lot were pics I had posted here on slippertalk).

I would say there are about 6 to 8 plants that are close in size (that we still have, as we did sell a bunch of them), and we have at least 2 other plants that are in spike, and will be blooming shortly as well. And no we have not had any bud drop yet. I think this will happen if you keep them too dry.

Robert

Exciting!! Can't wait to see the flower :drool:

if you don't mind sharing, how much light do you grow it in?

Yes, I recognized some. It is nice to have so many pics and other information together in a hat trick of mags.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back