Phrag kovachii 'Goliath' x longifolium(won't be long)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gilda, I'm intrigued with your culture -- it looks like you are doing semi-hydro, but with a bark mix. Is that correct? And I believe you said earlier that you are growing this one like all your other phrags, right?

Gilda, I'm intrigued with your culture -- it looks like you are doing semi-hydro, but with a bark mix. Is that correct? And I believe you said earlier that you are growing this one like all your other phrags, right?

Yep, and we have named our culture- Barko :rollhappy:!! Seriously ,that is what we call it when we show & tell at our orchid society, and phrags LOVE it !! It is the same as growing phrags sitting in a saucer of water when you think about it . I have had them in Barko for 3 years and have had no ill effects. My growing area gets very humid in the winter, and because of that I have to run a dehumidifier. You can not have open saucers of water sitting around and run a dehumidifier..defeats the purpose, hence Barko was born, thanks to my hubby, who said "let's try it "!:)

Well I'm disappointed it hasn't bloomed yet but am glad to see another picture. The leaves are beautifully grown.

e-spice

Well? How's she doin'?

She is doin' fine but soooooooooo slow in her bud progression that I am getting worried. :( I can see it is still emerging but not as quickly as I think it should.

She seems to be putting her energy into the new growths. They are progressing nicely. Maybe it's like Corbin said "A watched phrag doesn't bloom".:)

it will get there soon...definitely anxious to see it here as well. ...vegetatively it is not taking after the kovachii parent...an curious on how the flower will look. Let's hope the flowers last as long as it takes for that spike to develop, LOL.

In our dreams Kevin !! It may be Thanksgiving as slow as this one is coming along. The new growths are growing faster than the bud !

I regularly monitors this topic regarding kovachii cross.
How is it now ?

I am worried about my kovachii. As your's, the new growth is growing faster than bud. Bud has stopped growing for a while now. For how much time, i do not know ?

I am interested in your opinion !!!

The plant will flower, I've never seen a Pk hybrid not bloom from a bud. I'm sure you've noticed the vegetative growth in the mean time though, now 2 of them.

My bud is still at the same point as the last photo :mad:, and that was several weeks ago...my only consolation is the bud still looks viable. :confused:

Same for my kovachii !!

The plant will flower, I've never seen a Pk hybrid not bloom from a bud. I'm sure you've noticed the vegetative growth in the mean time though, now 2 of them.

ok you're very positive. what means " now 2 of them " ?

pic update

Here is the latest picture. As you can see the 2 new growths have reached the height of the blooming size growth. I can see the slightest change in the bud. Maybe the cooler temps ??:confused:

DSCI0513JPG.jpg

Don't make any radical changes in what you are doing. That bloom stem says you are doing it right. Bright & wet and intermediate temps describe the habitat. Habitat actually gets rather warm for a few hours in the mid-day. Even the species longifolium can take quite a few months to open the first flower on a bloom stem.

Latest posts

Back