Phrag kovachii 'Goliath' x longifolium(won't be long)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your plants

Are you kidding me - you are doing great - " If it aint broke dont fix it "- Ihope your bloom opens soon - john

This is a great thread! I bought a Phrag. kovachii x Phrag. longifolium seedling a few months ago from H.P. Norton. Mine is very little! I'm watching this thread now, too!! :D

I love this thread.

The plant looks so damn healthy.

I cant wait to see the bloom.

Gilda, I hope that the plant doesn't decide to abort the stem in favour of those two new growths. I have a suggestion. Give it a couple light feedings with something like 7-11-27, or Phostrogen (10-10-27). Really, anything with a high potassium (such as is given to tomatoes), will do. This will give the bloom spike and buds a boost. Just don't overdo it. Only a couple feedings about a week apart and at a low dose, such as 1/4 strength, is plenty.

I have a suggestion. Give it a couple light feedings with something like 7-11-27, or Phostrogen (10-10-27). Really, anything with a high potassium (such as is given to tomatoes), will do. This will give the bloom spike and buds a boost. Just don't overdo it. Only a couple feedings about a week apart and at a low dose, such as 1/4 strength, is plenty.

Thanks John, I will give that a try.

Of course, if you're only giving it natural light, it may be reacting to the short, cloudy days. In that case, as well as feeding it, you'd need to supplement the light too, so that it will actually have the strength to use the fertilizer. Again, if you supplement the light, just do it moderately. Don't fry it under a 500 watt HID light, or anything else that heats the foliage. Maybe a large one of those compact fluorescents in a spotlight fixture would be a good choice for this situation. Good luck.

Gilda it sure is moving slowly but the spike still looks healthy. I checked mine today...the growth is near mature and I am hoping for a springtime spike on mine. With the other hybrids, the cool dark days did not blast any spikes, the heat of the early summer did though.

I moved mine to S/H culture earlier this year and they seem to be loving it.

hey, what's it look like now? I have one that I received in a trade and I keep checking the new growth to see if any buds are coming.... it's a huge plant, larger than most everything I've grown before! (and it's just a baby)

Of course, if you're only giving it natural light, it may be reacting to the short, cloudy days. In that case, as well as feeding it, you'd need to supplement the light too, so that it will actually have the strength to use the fertilizer. . Good luck.

Nothing dramatic to report. I have done as you suggested John and placed it under higher light(nothing that would fry it), and gave it a slight feeding boost. It is also warmer there when the lights are on. I agree, the cool ,shorter cloudy days is when the spike slowed growing. It may be wishful thinking ,but I think the spike has elongated more. I would have to photograph it again and I really want my next photo to be a big ,fat bud !!:)
Stay tuned !

I hope you're right and the stem has elongated a bit. I find that once a stem or buds stall, they rarely get started again. The plants usually just transfer their effort over to the next stem from the next growth. Good luck!

Gilda is learning the true meaning of patience!
Do you have any hair left or is it turning gray at this point?

Gilda is learning the true meaning of patience!
Do you have any hair left or is it turning gray at this point?

Rose, I have plenty of hair and it was pretty much gray already(Clairol takes care of that though:rollhappy:), but you do learn patience with slippers. The phrag with the growth had the bud for MONTHS before it started to mature over the last week.

This is a long thread so I haven't bothered to check if anyone mentioned that Phrag. kovachii can take 8 months to open from the first signs of a low spike. That probably helps explain the wait!

This is a long thread so I haven't bothered to check if anyone mentioned that Phrag. kovachii can take 8 months to open from the first signs of a low spike. That probably helps explain the wait!
:rollhappy: :rollhappy: :rollhappy: All sounds normal! If you were a couple of posts earlier I wouldn't have asked the question that prompted Gilda to divulged that only clairol knew the answer!

Thanks Jason ! Good thing to know ,and encouraging that maybe the spike won't abort in favor of the new growths.

Is that the normal time P.kovachii should take?
Alfreado Manrique told me his plants were spiking two times per year.
I did not think to ask him how long a spike takes to develop.

Is that the normal time P.kovachii should take?
Alfreado Manrique told me his plants were spiking two times per year.
I did not think to ask him how long a spike takes to develop.

That's the information I've heard, but have never experienced it first hand. I can certainly see a multi-growth kovachii spiking a few times throughout the year. I have a feeling our first kovachii is in low spike now, so I'll have to time it!

Back