Phrag kovachii 'Goliath' x longifolium(won't be long)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm waiting also. :) I have that cross, and I know that it will be quite a while before I see a bloom. ;) I can't wait. :)

:sob: I'm sad to report ,although the spike/sheath has not turned brown, there does not seem to be a bud forming inside the sheath. I feel nothing when I gently squeeze the sheath, and also I can not "see" a bud when holding it up to the light. :sob:

I will let the spike/sheath remain just in case something appears but I don't have a lot of hope for a bloom from this growth . :(

:sob: I'm sad to report ,although the spike/sheath has not turned brown, there does not seem to be a bud forming inside the sheath. I feel nothing when I gently squeeze the sheath, and also I can not "see" a bud when holding it up to the light. :sob:

I will let the spike/sheath remain just in case something appears but I don't have a lot of hope for a bloom from this growth . :(

Oh! :( Don't give up....It may just be taking its' time. If not, then there's always next year. :) Keep us posted, please!

Oh no! Ah well, it seems that those 2 new growths that shot up so fast did so at the expense of the flowering. Of course, now you'll have to wait longer; but, when that plant does bloom for the first time, it will undoubtedly be a better blooming. The plant will probably initiate a spike from each of those new growths and produce more, larger and better shaped flowers. After all, it will be working with 3 sets of roots, instead of just one. Looking forward to next year.......

Oh that bugger...just trying to remind you who is in control.

Well fantastic growing anyway, maybe by summer we'll be playing this game again, and we'll all have a better idea of what our guess will be on the blooming date.

:(:( what a shame

It happens sometime when seedlings attempt their first flowering...

photo

Nice - Good example of huge results from open mix and a small pot - I think too many over pot - Every plant sold at orchid shows resulted in the buyer saying I cant wait - to re pot it - despite the fact it was blooming in a small pot -j = An old Sage used to say let the plant bust its way out before repotting -j

I wonder if this is typical of kovachii, to try to grow too fast at the expense of spikes. My very limited experience is that they grow very slowly.

:(:sob: Bummer - just make sure you're not giving up too soon but you've certainly grown & bloomed plenty of phrags.
I wonder if this is typical of kovachii, to try to grow too fast at the expense of spikes. My very limited experience is that they grow very slowly.
good question, I feel mine are slow growing too.

Gilda, good things take a long time to happen, so pluck up your courage and next year it will be much much better!!!:)

Back