Phrag Incan Treasure (kov. x long.)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
updated pics

Well. The sun is out and I have time to get new pics of the open flower! It's a lot wider now and the dorsal sepal has raised some, but not completely upright. Dimensions are: 7"+ petal spread, 5" up and down, 3.75" lip (from staminode connecting point). The new bud is already opening up, and for some reason the front of this lip/pouch also has a dingle on it. Has anyone else seen this kind of damage and know why it happens? Maybe just from a very fast grower so it's 'scraping' itself as it unfolds? Of course since it's a little larger, the color has lightened a little, and the petals are now very wavy.

pincant1209a.JPG

pincant1209b.JPG

pincant1209c.JPG

love those spots in the lip! I think the inside of the pouch is completely spotted (even spotting with lots of white space between)

pincant1209d.JPG

back shot to show waving and all

pincant1209e.JPG

the whole ball of wax (huge)

the flower color in person is a little more bluish-pink than what's showing in my web browser. often what I see in my editing program isn't exactly what shows up for internet viewing; shows the color a little darker as well. I sometimes have to force myself to edit the pic brighter than I normally would so that it shows up as 'normal' in a web browser. the color in the inside of the top of the lip is actually a bit yellow, which doesn't show up in most of the pictures. they're pretty close, just don't want people to think it's darker than it really is (I actually went back and re-edited the second pic to be much lighter, and it still shows up darker than normal in the internet view (grumpy))

having longifolium as a parent, is it possible that the petals will keep expanding for a while?

Really nice Charles. The wavy petals add interest to the flower for me. The ding on the front and the slightly skewed of the inter pouch maybe a humidy issue. Otherwise, it's just wonderful

Indeed, that is one wavy flower! I know what you mean about images and the way they display on web browsers - often a bit too dull. I've also noticed that the hosting site can take some "juice away" as well - duller images, loss of sharpeness, etc. Add to that everyone's monitor is set differently and color becomes an interesting concept....

Nice flower, BTW. I see lots of potential there.

thanks. I'm using canon digital photo professional (came with camera), and it is actually set for sRGB. i'm wondering if I should set the program to not use color profiles and see if that makes a difference

thanks. I'm using canon digital photo professional (came with camera), and it is actually set for sRGB. i'm wondering if I should set the program to not use color profiles and see if that makes a difference
Certainly worth a try!

Actually, I use Adobe RGB and it seems pretty consistent across most programs, except MS Word.

Now that the flower has opened and spread out, I like it a whole lot better. That first photo was not an attrative shape. Now I can actually get my head around as to what hybrids I would like to see made using this type of breeding. Cross this to a Phrag Bouley Bay if you have one around.

Now that the flower has opened and spread out, I like it a whole lot better. That first photo was not an attrative shape. Now I can actually get my head around as to what hybrids I would like to see made using this type of breeding. Cross this to a Phrag Bouley Bay if you have one around.

I don't really have any hybrids, but if you have one I'd be happy to send some pollen. Yes, the first pics were funny looking! The second flower is filling in quickly as well. Those flowers are huge

Great plant!!!
Photos are great too, even at 400%(I was peeking in the pouch)!
How's the second bud looking???
7+inches-OMG!!!

the second bud is open! I'm waiting for the petals to finish ruffling before taking a pic. the second bud has petals around 6.5" span and the first is 7.25". despite the huge flowers, the spacing seems to be okay along the inflorescence. I can't imagine four flowers that large on one spike

oh, heck. it's dark outside now (and inside). I'll snap a pic just in case it doesn't make it to tomorrow morning though the color will probably look a little funny.
phrags are funny like that,.... perfectly good flowers dropping off

pincant1209f.JPG

long exposure under compact fluorescents, re-adjusted to look close to normal. will try to re-stake and take a pic with more natural light tomorrow

Latest posts

Back