Phrag Lovely Lynne 4n x sib blooming thread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many liters (or gallons) is your watering can? I think that Akerne means full strength to be about 100 ppm N.

The special situation you have is a very long dwell time of the fertilizer solution with your roots because the roots are in contact with the solution for a long time. There may even be continued wicking up to roots during the week, correct? Compare that to my pot full of LECA through which percolate fertilizer solution. What contacts the roots absorbs into the velum but everything else flows out the pot. There is no continuing reservoir. I probably need a higher concentration of fertilizer than you do.

It’s about a gallon watering can. A normal sized one over here.
I think you’ve hit an important point. The concentration of feed isn’t important as the total amount available to the plant. In the tray there is, in total, probably much more available to a growing plant than in a small pot.

Did the calculations. Akerne's website says the standard dosage is 0.5 grams per liter, which with their formula of 11.8% N is 59 ppm N using Ray's online calculator. So full strength in a gallon (3.8 liters) would be 1.9 grams. One place I read said that a blue scoop is 1 gram, which would mean that your 2 scoops in a gallon would be a little more than full strength, to about 62 ppm N.

However, if you are using a scoop that is only 0.5 grams, then your two scoops in a gallon is half strength at about 31 ppm N.

The watering can is 1.5 gallons, so that is about six litres.
The photo shows that the recommended dose is one level spoon in two litres so it looks like that I am using three quarters rate, not half rate.

The watering can is 1.5 gallons, so that is about six litres.
The photo shows that the recommended dose is one level spoon in two litres so it looks like that I am using three quarters rate, not half rate.
I calculate that you are about 41 ppm N, so less than half strength in the MSU/K-Lite universe. Probably perfect with your long dwell time. If this is also what you are using on your Cattleyas in pots with bark it is good information that high amounts of fertilizer are not needed for this genera either.

Update on repotting from the smaller of the two trays.
As the plants have grown together for getting on for two years it was interesting to see just how easy it would be to repot them.
This is the small seed tray with about 12 plants. They were the smaller set of seedlings when I last repotted.
View of the roots.
IMG_1568.jpeg
Root growth has been excellent. When I started to separate the plants, it proved to be fairly straight forward to do this as most of the rockwool cubes fell away when shaken and then it was just a case of teasing the roots of different plants apart without breaking them. Surprisingly few roots were lost
These are two of the plants separated out. The second plant was the largest of the second batch and had the largest flowers of any of the plants at 14cm across.
IMG_1567.jpeg
IMG_1569.jpeg
The plants were potted into five inch aquatic pots in large rockwool cubes to try to maintain the high air to compost ratio. Time will tell!
IMG_1570.jpeg
David

Update on repotting from the smaller of the two trays.
As the plants have grown together for getting on for two years it was interesting to see just how easy it would be to repot them.
This is the small seed tray with about 12 plants. They were the smaller set of seedlings when I last repotted.
View of the roots.
View attachment 46294
Root growth has been excellent. When I started to separate the plants, it proved to be fairly straight forward to do this as most of the rockwool cubes fell away when shaken and then it was just a case of teasing the roots of different plants apart without breaking them. Surprisingly few roots were lost
These are two of the plants separated out. The second plant was the largest of the second batch and had the largest flowers of any of the plants at 14cm across.
View attachment 46295
View attachment 46296
The plants were potted into five inch aquatic pots in large rockwool cubes to try to maintain the high air to compost ratio. Time will tell!
View attachment 46297
David
Strong 💪 work! Cant wait to see how this works for you. I also can’t believe it’s been two years already. Amazing how fast time flies on this forum.

Latest posts

Back