Phragmipedium Lovely Lynne 4n x sib update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I last posted about these seedlings, grown from flask, they’ve had a summers growth in Cornwall against a west facing window and have grown considerably. Most of the 25 seedlings made a new lead but two just continued with the existing one.
There are now about eight of them in sheath or bud. They love growing in the seed trays with a thin layer of leca and rockwool. Moss growth on top of this is excellent. Digging down into the compost you find that there is a mass of roots everywhere.
The trays have no holes and I just flood them about once a week with water plus low level feed and drain off the excess after a few minutes. It’s very easy.
I should get a good idea of flower potential after these have bloomed. Hopefully there will be a couple of good ones.
IMG_1381.jpegIMG_1379.jpeg
regards
David

Terry,
the plant on the extreme left has a fuzzy bud just starting to colour up. Maybe a couple of weeks at most. These plants are much bigger than the small seedling that flowered in the spring. They should give a much better idea of cross potential. I’d love to find a couple of plants that don’t have the purplish red colouring and maybe lean more towards either kovachii or besseae.
David

I also have about 25 (from Mike Tibbs) that are just a little smaller than yours with some sending up side shoots. Mine are in individual (Orchiata) pots but I plan to repot the larger ones in Grodan cubes. Can you explain the yellow streaking I see in some leaves?

the streaking occurred over last winter as pale areas on the new leaves and was probably underfeeding. I went up from one scoop of rainmix to two per bucket and it disappeared on the newer leaves.

Terry,
the plant on the extreme left has a fuzzy bud just starting to colour up. Maybe a couple of weeks at most. These plants are much bigger than the small seedling that flowered in the spring. They should give a much better idea of cross potential. I’d love to find a couple of plants that don’t have the purplish red colouring and maybe lean more towards either kovachii or besseae.
David
I can’t imagine how you are going to divide into individual plants with the totally enmeshed root system!

Terry,
I’ve no idea. It may never happen. We will see how the plants develop over time. It’s a great deal easier to look after 16 plants in this tray than separately. Plus they take up less space when it’s at a premium,
David

Latest posts

Back