Phrag Incan Treasure (kov. x long.)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(initial pics of flowers from thread phrag kovachii x longifolium)

Hey! It's finally opening but I won't be here when the first bud finishes opening. I also have to re-stake and move things around so I can get a 'good' pic in front of black cloth, but I'm supposed to be traveling later this morning and have other things that need doing. I'll let you guys judge whether or not it's a good flower, though it's still just opening up. I like the color though I'm looking at it with clouds outside (go figure) and a compact fluorescent bulb inside (and flash from the camera). The other pic I've seen on the internet shows a flower with much longer sepals. Do these grow as the flower ages (longifolium trait)? Also that flower showed more pink than red/purple, though this is still just opening.
It also looks like there's a fourth bud inside the top sheath!

phragincantreasure1109a.JPG

this is about the right color, though it is probably a bit over-saturated. the wingspan is 5", the total height is about 3.25", and the whole pouch structure is about 2.25". the dorsal sepal is still sticking forwards so it isn't adding a whole lot to the height. it's opening pretty fast, but still has a little ways to go

phragincantreasure1109b.JPG

phragincantreasure1109c.JPG

As you can see here, there is a brown crease right in the front of the pouch, and I did see another on the back left. I've been leaving things alone, so not sure what causes things like that.

WooHoo!!! Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: Looks like an Incan protecting 'the Treasure'! I'm sure it will relax over the next few days & be just fine! I especially like the profile shot & the color is lovely!

I love the colors and the size, but don't care for the shape much. I do think this hybrid will be useful for further breeding; either crossing it onto a long petaled species like caudatum to get a flower with long down swept petals with large flowers that will have dark rose colors, or flatten out the petals by crossing it onto besseae or a besseae hybrid. The fact that longifolium is one of the parents will make it's offspring pretty vigorous.

Thanks for posting; post a picture in a few days to show what the flower looks like!

Robert

So far it looks interesting. I agree with John that the flower is still very immature, and I would expect to see the petals flatten/lower a bit. The color is very nice!

Interesting cross. Let us know how the flower develops. I'm with Robert, this cross is good for breeding.

Awesome! Looks like the right color for the next holiday.
Maybe it will bloom till new years. Good growing, and thanks for the tips!

Nice Flower and color. Do wait for it to flower a few more times and see if it improves. I wonder if the parent is longifolium instead of kovachii?

Paphman910

name confusion

doh! I thought I'd check the plant tag to see which parent was listed first as the pod parent; when I checked the tag and scraped underneath some of the dirt I thought that it said 'peruflora p r x longifolium' which would have meant that it wasn't a straight kovachii hybrid. (eek) when I had first looked at the tag through the dirt I saw that it started with a 'peru...' (again, had dirt over it) so assumed that it said 'peruviana' (kovachii). I looked online and couldn't find anything that had a name that started with 'peruflora p.... r....' but that there were lots of of crosses from peruflora... after getting about an inch away from the tag, I think that is says 'peruflora p. k. x longifolium'. I'm not sure why the name would have the peruflora right in there with the cross name and not write out the 'phrag kovachii', except maybe assuming that everyone would know that p k meant kovachii, at least as long as the handwriting was clear enough.

that said, my handwriting isn't always the best, either

... the flower definitely has changed, we'll see if I have time to get a pic today

Latest posts

Back