Phrag followed me home...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I was just going to check out the nice, flowering henryanum they have in my local flower store after an orchid event, when I noticed that the Phrag. Memoria Dick Clements x besseae a.k.a. Jason Fischer, had opened its bud. Before I knew what was happening, it jumped into my arms, so I just had to take it home with me.:eek:

Sooo, I'm thinking I should cut the spike, since it's a single growth plant, with a small start. I'm also thinking I should repot it, just to see what the roots look like.

Any special advice you guys want to give me? I thought I should treat it like I treat my Green Hornet; bark, sphagnum, perlite mix, standing in a saucer with water that I change every second day, water with RO-water and some weak fertilizing, more than Phal light, temperatures 18*C (coldest) - 26*C (warmest). Anything else?

Oh, here it is:

263795.orig.jpg

263796.orig.jpg

The flower is not fully open, and I can't capture the colour properly, it's not as RED red, but a more cold/blue red.

I think having one green Phrag and one red, is sufficient, and neither get very big, which is good. :D

And yes, my efforts of not increasing my collection is going excellent, can't you tell? :wink:

Okay, thanks. :) I don't have much experience with Phrags, so I was thinking Paph; one growth = cut spike.

I chose it because of its beautiful flower AND because it wasn't a NoID. I paid more than 10$ extra for that name tag, so now I want the true ID. I know which nursery it comes from, so I'll email them and ask. Grrr... :mad:

I thought the pouch had too much yellow to be a Jason Fischeri, but thought it could vary. Phrag noob alert! :rollhappy:

No, It's not Mem. Dick Clements either. Its either a dark Franz Glanz, Apple Pie or something with richteri in it.
I did a quick search on both suggested crosses, and it looks more like an Apple Pie, than a Franz Glanz (the form is completely off for it being a Franz Glanz, at least in this newbie's eyes).

If I were to pick from all the choices,I would say Apple Pie. Its a nice flower either way, and if you're not a name Nazi I wouldnt worry about it.

Email sent. :)

If I were to pick from all the choices,I would say Apple Pie. Its a nice flower either way, and if you're not a name Nazi I wouldnt worry about it.
I'm not, but I paid extra for that name tag, so either some money back or a proper ID. :mad:

I'm totally keeping it either way, it's just a principle.

I had a plant a while ago that was apple pie x besseae, I think. That looked almost identical to that one.

Wow! You couldn't keep your paws off this beautiful plant!

:drool::drool::drool:

Last edited:
I had a plant a while ago that was apple pie x besseae, I think. That looked almost identical to that one.
We'll see what the grower says it is, I just want the proper name. :)

Wow! You couldn't keep your paws off this beautiful plant!

:drool::drool::drool:
Nope. I had to try and save at least one of all the beautiful slippers they had there, and this one was just so cute. :D

You should relax more with your phrags....most of them are way easier and more tolerant than paphs. Don't cut the spike until its finished blooming, and enjoy the blooms. No need to rush to repot either.

Latest posts

Back