Divide a Phrag?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice regarding a phrag - QF Akela, according to the label - that I got from Marlow Orchids about 3 1/2 years ago. It's gotten pretty big, at least in comparison to my other orchids - the leaf span is about 22 inches, the leaves are about a foot tall, and the flower spike is above that. There are half a dozen "fans", in what looks like two groups. It's in a 5 inch pot and the roots seem crowded. I've never repotted it. I think it's reasonably healthy, but it's quite messy looking. Should I repot and divide? It looks like it could easily divide in two. Some not very good photos attached.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich

Attachments

• P1140680a.jpg
    P1140680a.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6541.jpg
    IMG_6541.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6539.jpg
    IMG_6539.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 0
You certainly could divide it. I would then just continue doing what you have been doing.
I have made it a habit of repotting my Phrags every two years. I never have repotted things because they are messy. Mother Nature does not mind it if things get messy.

At 3.5yrs in the same pot it’s definitely time. The media looks old and tired, and in your second photo the growth on the left is growing over the rim of the pot. Even if you don’t divide it it needs a repot and to be set lower in the medium. Given that the previously mentioned growth is over the edge you’ll probably find that it doesn’t have a really good root system that is necessary to support it if divided.

Latest posts

Back