Phrag. Fritz Schomburg and Yoko W. Fischer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a comparison of two Phragmipedium hybrids, Fritz Schomburg and Yoko W. Fischer. They have not bloomed for me at the same time over the last four years, but the pictures were both taken this year under almost identical lighting conditions with the same camera/settings.

This first picture is Fritz Schomburg (besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ x kovachii ‘Tessoro Morado’) made by Orchids Limited. The horizontal natural spread of the flower is about 12 cm:
FritzSchomburg.jpeg

The second picture is Orchid Limited’s Yoko W. Fischer (Peruflora’s Cirila Alca x besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’), also with a horizontal natural spread of about 12 cm:
YokoWFischer.jpeg

Peruflora’s Cirila Alca is (kovachii x dalessandroi) and it was registered the same year that Fritz Schomburg was registered (2007). There is chronic debate about whether dalessandroi should be a separate species, a var. of besseae, or just part of the natural variation of besseae but Kew still considers it separate for breeding purposes.

Phrag. besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ is a strong presence in these two hybrids. It is a polyploid plant that strongly influences size, shape, and coloration of its progeny. Here is an old Orchid’s Limited photo showing the size of ‘Rob’s Choice’ and a comparison with a diploid besseae.
probch30b__45228.jpg

I think that Fritz Schomburg and Yoko W. Fischer made with a diploid besseae are more influenced by the kovachii parent and often larger, but at the expense of the full and round shape.

I prefer the Fritz and have two from different sources. One from ST member is outstanding and very like your
bloom. The other is stubborn and refuses to bloom and is a slow grower under the same conditions. My
excellent Fritz is 3N and the cross is (kovachii 'Anabolic' x besseae 'Rob's Choice'). The comparisons are
extremely interesting.

Rob Choice is a fantastically shaped besseae. The hybrids are better shaped for sure but may unfortunately be 3N sterile (if a diploid was used as the other parent).

Jerry Fischer has suspected that kovachii ‘Tesoro Morado’ is tetraploid based on the plant and flower, but I don’t think they have confirmed it. I also don’t know if any of their little group of Fritz Schomburg crosses made with ‘Rob’s Choice’ has been able to breed, so Leslie’s concern about a sterile polyploid could be correct. I am going to ask Jerry. These mostly triploid plants can be good for hobbyists who are not interested in further breeding. A plant can be highly awarded and sterile. I suspect there are a number of great orchids over the last century that were sterile polyploids and dead ends for breeding. That makes great plants that are good breeders more precious . They are used over and over for decades. Many of these may be fortunate, fully tetraploid, fertile plants.

I agree that most Phragmipediums require learning and experimentation with your own conditions to get them to grow and bloom well. Many/most polyploid Orchids of most types can be more difficult to grow than standard diploid types. There is "hybrid vigor" that can occur with some crosses, but it isn't a guarantee.

Absolutely beautiful! Both are impressive, but I prefer the softer color of the FS.
I think the FS made with superior parents gets the best compromise of large, full, round, and toward the red end of the spectrum. Mixing in the dalessandroi made the color more orange and but created some branching. Some like red and some like orange and this is true with how people view besseae itself. I think my Yoko is a more vigorous grower and bloomer than my Fritz.

I think the FS made with superior parents gets the best compromise of large, full, round, and toward the red end of the spectrum. Mixing in the dalessandroi made the color more orange and but created some branching. Some like red and some like orange and this is true with how people view besseae itself. I think my Yoko is a more vigorous grower and bloomer than my Fritz.
I like Yoko because of its namesake, even though its bold color is not my favorite. It is striking, nonetheless. I really appreciate its form and size.

This is a comparison of two Phragmipedium hybrids, Fritz Schomburg and Yoko W. Fischer. They have not bloomed for me at the same time over the last four years, but the pictures were both taken this year under almost identical lighting conditions with the same camera/settings.

This first picture is Fritz Schomburg (besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ x kovachii ‘Tessoro Morado’) made by Orchids Limited. The horizontal natural spread of the flower is about 12 cm:
View attachment 37047

The second picture is Orchid Limited’s Yoko W. Fischer (Peruflora’s Cirila Alca x besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’), also with a horizontal natural spread of about 12 cm:
View attachment 37048

Peruflora’s Cirila Alca is (kovachii x dalessandroi) and it was registered the same year that Fritz Schomburg was registered (2007). There is chronic debate about whether dalessandroi should be a separate species, a var. of besseae, or just part of the natural variation of besseae but Kew still considers it separate for breeding purposes.

Phrag. besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ is a strong presence in these two hybrids. It is a polyploid plant that strongly influences size, shape, and coloration of its progeny. Here is an old Orchid’s Limited photo showing the size of ‘Rob’s Choice’ and a comparison with a diploid besseae.
View attachment 37049

I think that Fritz Schomburg and Yoko W. Fischer made with a diploid besseae are more influenced by the kovachii parent and often larger, but at the expense of the full and round shape.
My current Peruflora Cirla Alca, the bloom got to 5 inches across today n might still get bigger in next few days. Almost like a kovachii in pink.

And next generation of Fritz Schomberg first time blooming got to 4.5 inches across of Eugene Banziger. Few are in the shape of Fritz Schomberg most are like a giant size Hanne Popow.

Attachments

• PXL_20240109_011837115~2.jpg
    PXL_20240109_011837115~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231111_152622006.jpg
    PXL_20231111_152622006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back