Phrag followed me home...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd expect the spots on the claw face and the interior of the pouch came from Phrag. sargentianum (or from Phrag. kaieteurum if it was a Fox Valley Fireball). No richteri here.......

IMHO - The lines (veins) in the dorsal sepal and petals can also be attributed to Phrag. sargentianum in the background. (Phrag. Mem. Dick Clements = (besseae x sargentianum)) . Ive attached a photo of Phrag. sargentianum (or lindleyanum into which sargentianum has been reduced in synonomy) to illustrate.

Last edited:
Phragmipedium Sunset Glow. Now, after a day more, the petals should have grown to their final stance. The Dorsal should have changed too. Sargentianum is a very strong candidate.

If sargentianum really is the same than lindleyanum Mem Dick Clements and Andean Fire are...?:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

We continue to wait with bated breath for someone to write a definitive update of Phrag. taxonomy. . The first rumor was that Phillip Cribb was writing it, now I hear it is Guido Braem. Does anyone really know for sure?
Meanwhile, sargentianum, lindleyanum and kaieteurum are all considered to be lindleyanum for taxonomic purposes.

Thanks for trying to help me out with an ID on this Phrag, guys (I love that you're experts, love this forum). I haven't heard anything from the vendor/nursery yet, but they seem notorious for mislabeling stuff. :rolleyes:

I'll take a picture tomorrow of it. I don't know if it's fully opened yet, because I've no idea what it's doing... Yesterday, I thought it was going to lose the flower, because it started closing. This morning, it had opened up more than before. Now, it looks like it's about to close again. It's also rather cupped, are they usually cupped? I've never had a flowering Phrag before...

Oh, I'm not cutting the spike, I only thought I should since it's sort of a given with a Paph that only has one growth and one start. I do hope the spike will survive the insecticide I sprayed on the plant though. :eek:

Of course I'm over the top with my Phrags! I'm a newbie! I'm starting to almost get comfortable with my Phals now, and I've had Phals for about 10 years (but only grown them seriously for almost two). :rollhappy: It will take time before I start to relax around my Paphs and Phrags.

Last edited:
I watered it yesterday and I have it standing on a saucer with water... The flower seems to "close" during the night and open up during the day. It's even more open now.

What kind of "tea" are you drinking?! :evil:
The good stuff! Worm t... Nah, never mind.

It has opened more now, and so far, no sign of any "night closure". I'll post a picture tomorrow, forgot about it today.

I think what Eric is referring to is "skål" which is what we say in Sweden when we make a toast. The English equivalent should be "cheers". :)

Back