paphiopedilum leucochilum black

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like a first bloom seedling. I think its too soon to call it ugly. It may flatten out next time and have great shape. It is certainly no more hideous than some of the really dark vini-colors I have seen.

This is interesting, do those that think it's ugly not like any dark flowers? (Like Frdclkr. After Dark, a cym Black Sambo are the first to come to mind) or is it more the misshapen dorsal? I'll admit my first response was yuck but it was due to the dorsal, straighten out the dorsal and what's wrong with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, if it was completely black, I would probably like it. I don't mind (near)black flowers like vinicolors or Fredclarkeara After Dark.

It's just the blotchyness on the pouch that makes it look so diseased.
It also reminds me of a really bad bruise. :poke:

Bottom line is if it has been crossed with other species to increase the black, it's no more a leucochilum.

That is first blooming, a second blooming much better

How do you know if it is first blooming ... you haven't seen the second blooming !

How do you know if it is first blooming ... you haven't seen the second blooming !

the gardner knows immediately , that is first blooming. How many growth has the plant ?. How larg is leafspan ( for blooming size ) ?

Latest posts

Back