paphiopedilum leucochilum black

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
photo from friend, Nagoya Orchids Meeting July 2011

sorry, but I cant believe the picture to be true to the plants real colour.

OMG!!!
sorry, but I cant believe the picture to be true to the plants real colour.
Why? I look at the skin tones of the people in the background, looks rather normal, the white on the pouch is white & the color of the foliage is spot on for some brachys.

I am agree with you John Boy I can't believe it, and further more I think it's not really pretty. I would like to know the cross...

Brice

OMG!!!

Why? I look at the skin tones of the people in the background, looks rather normal, the white on the pouch is white & the color of the foliage is spot on for some brachys.

Yeah, I'm getting your point, but I simply don't believe that Bachy-Breeding, even with the very latest leucochilum breeding in Thailand or Taiwan, has come to that point of colouration yet. I'm not saying that I don't believe it possible, but.... There's a lot of years in between a black (solid) flower and current breeding. I just don't believe we're there yet.

Besides: If there was a Brachy of that coulor out there: I'd expect better pictures of it. If someone found a plant like that say in Thailand it would have a 50.000$ price tag, if not more... so a decent picture would come with it, if it were introcuced to the world.

Real or not, I think it's hideous. It looks diseased! Although I suppose if it was completely black without those pestilence-like blotches, it would have its charm.

That is messed up. I'd bet my last dollar there is a maudiae-vini somewhere in this flowers history then bred away from it. Back to leucochilum.

That is messed up. I'd bet my last dollar there is a maudiae-vini somewhere in this flowers history then bred away from it. Back to leucochilum.

and you'd guess it would retain that sort of colour during these generations "of breeding it into or better hiding it into" a Brachy Line??? Interesting idea!

I personally think that it is possible that it is a line bred species. After seeing some of the leucochilums from Thailand and Japan in Sam Tsui's presentation a few years back, this isn't that far a jump.

and you'd guess it would retain that sort of colour during these generations "of breeding it into or better hiding it into" a Brachy Line??? Interesting idea!

If it really is bred to a vini, here is what the F1 generation parent might look like. Paph (Impulse x leucochilum)
PaphImpulsexleucochilum309-1.jpg

PaphImpulsexleucochilumplant309-1.jpg

I suspect the color is pretty close to accurate. What it lacks is light bouncing into the flower so the value (lightness/darkness) is exaggerated to the dark side.

It doesn't appear to be a photoshopped image, but that can be tricky. FWIW, I don't think this has Barbata anywhere in it.

I would take it and hope th eshape straightens out. I would like to have one of these and an album one to make the image like the original Taj Mahal design. :D

Yeah, I'm getting your point, but I simply don't believe that Bachy-Breeding, even with the very latest leucochilum breeding in Thailand or Taiwan, has come to that point of colouration yet. I'm not saying that I don't believe it possible, but.... There's a lot of years in between a black (solid) flower and current breeding. I just don't believe we're there yet.

Besides: If there was a Brachy of that coulor out there: I'd expect better pictures of it. If someone found a plant like that say in Thailand it would have a 50.000$ price tag, if not more... so a decent picture would come with it, if it were introcuced to the world.

The color could be real, they have exceedingly dark plants of brachys in Japan. Now, the problem is that they are not the pure species, but hybrids with a specific stran of bellatulum in the background, crossed back and forth. I ll try to find out the name of the hybrid and the nursery that made such things, but they were exceedingly dark. They are not pure species either...

They use a very rare and special strain of bellatulum, called bellatulum 'Royal Strain', or bellatulum vinicolor. There are no plants in commercial nurseries anywhere of that pure bellatulum strain (except in Vietnam :D), because they belong to the Thai Royal Family orchid collection, so no one propagates/touch those. They all come from only one single wild collected plant. However, one breeder made hybrids of that bellatulum with leucochilum, already in Thailand, and it appears that some leucochilum strains are contaminated with this bellatulum for a while. The best of those F1 bellatulum vini x leucochilum have been sold to Japan over a decade ago, and I know they passed the next generations as pure leucochilum with very dark flowers... This bellatulum is as well in the ancestry of the 'Red Devil' leucochilum and this kind of leucochilum with the very dark pattern.

If you raise seedlings from plants of 'leucochilum' by yourself you cannot know for sure which one are pure, but you can know if some are contaminated. Quite a lot of the Fx's raised from that bellatulum, and sold as high quality leucochilum, will produce a lot of 'normal leafed' seedlings, big dark leaves, 'typical of leucochilum' and always a few ( from 1-20) with a very heavy leaf mottling, slightly softer leaves. Seems they could not erase completely the bellatulum leaf habit...

Since some don't like it, you can send it to me. I'll give it a very good home! I'd like to see a second blooming to see if the dorsal improves. Even if not, it has great breeding potential.

Latest posts

Back