Paph. ???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eOrchids

Reaction score
Hey all,
The tag says Paph. Winston Churchill and I know it is not. So what could it be?

Punknown.jpg

Thanks!

it looks like a highly colored Paph. gratrixianum. nice dorsal!

The spots on the dorsal are too bumpy to be straight gratrixianum. See the couple near the base of the dorsal, they seem to stick out a little. Possible it's Winston Churchill onto gratrixianum or villosum?

-Ernie

Looks more like villosum v. Boxallii hybrid, either another villosum or with a complex hybrid. I have seen villosum x complex hybrids flower like this. I doubt if there is any gratrixianum in there.

The spots on the dorsal are too bumpy to be straight gratrixianum. See the couple near the base of the dorsal, they seem to stick out a little. Possible it's Winston Churchill onto gratrixianum or villosum?

-Ernie

Your right.

Ramon:)

[blither]

If I had to bet a dollar, I'd probably go with Paph. (Winston Churchill x villosum). If I had to bet more than a dollar, I'd probably sit this one out because I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

It seems like those shiny petals and Stan Laurel chin are normally associated with a lot of Paph. villosum hybrids. Paph. villosum does seem like a reasonable guess for the other parent - if another parent exists. I say that because I have grown out a lot of bottles of Paph. Winston Churchill hybrids. I have also seen two different remakes of Paph. Winston Churchill of which the results varied from the full-formed tupperware discs that we normally associate with the most famous cultivars of this cross all the way to flowers shaped much like the one in the photo. Some were keepers and some were so disappointing they were barely passable as grocery store pot plants.

If we are to trust the registration information available for Paph. Winston Churchill, then we work from the assumption it has Paph. villosum var. boxallii, Paph. villosum and Paph. insigne in the background. I suspect some would agree that there is already enough influence in the ancestry to have produced the flower in this photo. I'm betting my dollar it took another hit of Paph. villosum (or Paph. villosum var. boxallii) along the way.

[/blither]

Eric,

Years ago at a commercials greenhouse in California (don't remember which one) I saw a run of Winston Churchill "Indomitable" X self bloom out that produced individuals that resembled this one. It really spread the genetics out and the results where all over the board. I wonder if that isn't the case here. In which event, this would really be a Winston Churchill. Maybe the supplier can give you information on this cross.

charlie c

It's kind of strange that you mention it Charlie! The reason why I state that is because two years ago when I got the plant, the plant had a shriveled flower and remember correctly, it did not posess this shape. It had the normal complex, round shape.

So why the huge shape difference?

Oh btw, the plant has a bud about to bloom! I wonder if it will follow the same path of the first bloom. We will find out...

Eric,
Years ago at a commercials greenhouse in California (don't remember which one) I saw a run of Winston Churchill "Indomitable" X self bloom out that produced individuals that resembled this one. It really spread the genetics out and the results where all over the board. I wonder if that isn't the case here. In which event, this would really be a Winston Churchill. Maybe the supplier can give you information on this cross. charlie c

Interesting! Good possibility, especially since our lesson from JeanPierre!

Latest posts

Back