Growing large flowered Paphs.??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When it comes by to growing these large flowered, bull dog Paphiopedilums, what do I do?
I had a couple years ago and frankly never had much of an interest to try. But I figured that a few of my Slipper People could advise me!
Temperature range, light, watering, humidity, fertilizer etc. These would be generalities that would really help me out guys and gals. Oops, I almost forgot about preferred media’s.
In judging and in society exhibits up here in Michigan, these slippers are every where. You know things like John Hainsworth and Winston Churchill. I discovered that some of these are just plain gorgeous! Showstoppers to be sure.
Thanking you all in advance!! 🤔🥰

Hi, I don't grow these, so my recommendation are from what I read on Paph Paradise website:

Lower light requirements than multiflorals, I'm guessing around 20-40 PPFD, 12hours but would be interested to hear from other people's experience.

70s temps, high of 80s during summer, can be as low as 50s during winter.

Even base fertilizer, weak rate and be sure to thoroughly water the pot at every watering.
https://paphparadise.com/paphiopedilum-care-feeding/

Hi, I’m in southern Ontario, my paphs spend the summer outside on the east side in bright shade. Planted in fir bark and clay pellet mix Enhanced with calcium grit that’s fed to chickens. potted In a basket that’s set in a larger pot with damp spaghnum. in summer i Water every 3 days, set Basket back in damp moss. Fall in the garage that doesn’t go below 10 Celsius, water once a week and back into the pot with damp moss. is now about to open its flower!

Here is one that recently opened.
F6C530C5-FE92-4331-B98C-FB4B3F98CC02.jpeg
This is Paph. Memoria Harry Truman. It is a hybrid of Paph. Spirit Lake ‘Ruby’ x Paph. John Hainsworth. It really shows the traits of the Hainsworth parent I think.
It has a wide dorsal with a broad, white margin. The interior of the dorsal is kind of a deep rose burgundy that is most intense by the dorsal mid line or center.
The broad petals feature that creamy yellow picotee. Petals show a tint of chocolate brown in them to my eye. Pouch is a bit darker with a nice yellow rim. Interior features including the staminode are a bit off kilter.
AE970EDE-4CAF-49D1-8647-6CF33C800EAD.jpeg
Not the best flower maybe but I do like the dorsal!
Plus, these guys seem to be doing quite nicely under my lights!

I have a couple of interesting plants for you all to look at. These are both Paph. Desert Realm clones. Desert Realm is Paph. Desert Rain x Paph. Thunder Bay.
13074B94-C793-4C61-912A-875EC9081E54.jpeg
This first one measures 9.3cm. natural spread. As you can see, a nice wide dorsal that is white, bright green centrally, covered with burgundy spots. Petals are broad, golden yellow background blushed red on the upper half. They are spotted and veined red on lower half. Pouch is red, with a yellow rim. Staminode yellow with a bright green boss.
BC941242-5415-4942-9EAA-32512C0EADFC.jpeg
Just look at the color difference in this clone! Dorsal is broad, spotted burgundy but it has the spots coalesced into a broad swash of burgundy centrally.
Like the previous clone, petals are nice with a chocolate burgundy mid vein and is blushed lighter burgundy brown on the upper part and blushed lighter on the bottom half.
Pouch is a golden green color with a nice staminode. This one is 11.4 cm. wide in terms of natural spread or 2.1 cm. wider.

Well I was able to locate the award image for Paph. Desert Rain. It is greener then Paph. John Hainsworth. But when you combine the two, there are many possibilities.
My pleasure.
I have a few more budded plants yet to open.

When it comes by to growing these large flowered, bull dog Paphiopedilums, what do I do?
I had a couple years ago and frankly never had much of an interest to try. But I figured that a few of my Slipper People could advise me!
Temperature range, light, watering, humidity, fertilizer etc. These would be generalities that would really help me out guys and gals. Oops, I almost forgot about preferred media’s.
In judging and in society exhibits up here in Michigan, these slippers are every where. You know things like John Hainsworth and Winston Churchill. I discovered that some of these are just plain gorgeous! Showstoppers to be sure.
Thanking you all in advance!! 🤔🥰
If I post my experience from past 2 years, folks will get angry with me as I never do anything near convention methods.
Paph tends to bloom after maturity.
I grow them more cool intermediate.
I place them on trays n once a week fill tray with a cm of water
I never fertilize
Medium mix small bark chopped moss n crushed egg shells
And 16-18 hours of LEDs.
Currently I have about 15 in bloom n in buds
Recent pics
I get roughly two crops of complex in blooms per year.

Attachments

• PXL_20240102_205547863~2.jpg
    PXL_20240102_205547863~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231218_160708154.jpg
    PXL_20231218_160708154.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231220_162407689.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231220_162407689.MP.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240102_172616624.jpg
    PXL_20240102_172616624.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 0
Barron's LEDs 2 tubes at 43 watts
Minimum 16 hours year round
Yes I don't use any
Light n fresh water are natural fertilizer
Never have to worry about salts build up.
You have a nice set up

My tubes are T-5’s, 6,500k, and they are on ten hours a day. But I am only growing them for 4 months.
I fertilize twice a month with Jack’s 20-20-20, at a teaspoon per gallon.

My tubes are T-5’s, 6,500k, and they are on ten hours a day. But I am only growing them for 4 months.
I fertilize twice a month with Jack’s 20-20-20, at a teaspoon per gallon.
For 3 years I have not fertilize any orchids yet my babies sent out spikes non stop throughout the year non stop. In total I will have 30+ paphs in bloom and spikes now.
Spiking becomes to easy without any effort
And I spent half an hour each week watering 400+ plants.

Attachments

• PXL_20240109_152918832.jpg
    PXL_20240109_152918832.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back