Paph. wardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantis

Reaction score
Hi again.

After a loooong waiting with nothing to show you (I broke an acmodontum just before opening and I´ve lost a couple of blooms in my helenae too) I come back with my P. wardii.

The plant flowered with a prety deformed bloom two year ago.

I don´t have any pic of the plant because there´s nothing interesting to show down there. It´s a very weak clone that will never clump (as soon as this growth started to flower the prevous one died in a week or so.

It has taken 6 months from low seath to fully opened flower (reminds me of tigrinum in the way it behaves while flowering. The seath stopped for 4 months down in the growth and didn´t do anything until the last 2 months).

Nice flower (IMO) but hateful clon (There´s no clonal name in the tag, sorry).

Hope you like It

16111188722_b35bf06c2f_c.jpg

That's pretty. Why is it 'hateful"?

Very nice deep coloration and great photo. I would be happy with that wardii.

Believe me: you wouldn´t.
It seems to be unable to keep two growths at a time. It sends only a few roots that stop growing quite soon. Flowers delay a whole life to develop...
If you want a specimen plant with multiple flowers...this clone is not the best option (a friend of mine has two plants of this same clone and both are as bad growers as mine).

BTW: do you see the pic "granulated" in your screens? I´ve just realised this.

It's gorgeous, and the photo is fantastic. Too bad it seems to be such a weak clone (the flower reminds me of my Paph. wardii 'Darkwing' x self).

That's pretty. Why is it 'hateful"?
Probably because it took so long to flower and seems to be weak. Is my guess at least.

It's gorgeous, and the photo is fantastic. Too bad it seems to be such a weak clone (the flower reminds me of my Paph. wardii 'Darkwing' x self).

Probably because it took so long to flower and seems to be weak. Is my guess at least.

Terése: you´re right. I bet this wardii could be 'Darkwing' or 'something X Darkwing' as this is an easy clone to find here in Europe, where the offer of Paphs. is so limited. As the label has no references to clonal name...there´s no way to know it.
Whatever it is, it´s an awful grower. I was determined to get rid of it if the flower wasn´t so nice.

Atlantis, don't be so quick to blame the plant.

My experience with some paphs was like yours - one or two growths seemed to be the most any would carry at a time. Since changing my feeding and watering regimen to frequent flooding/flushing with RO plus very low K-Lite fertilizer dosing each time, all of my plants are carrying many more growths, and are flowering better.

That Varuna (like the one you threw away) was one of those miscreants, and now it has three blooming growths and five more on the way.

Ray Barkalow
firstrays.com

I would echo Ray's recommendations. For any Barbata Paph that isn't thriving - good water quality is essential, low fertilizer rates, frequent flushing. And I would add, if there is any problem with water quality or media breakdown, at least annual repotting. Also, consider a step down in light level. It is a nice enough flower to make some extra effort with the plant.

Great photograph, and I like the flower, too.
Don't be to harsh with you(r plants)! It's true we don't have much choice in Paphs here in Europe and I don't really understand why they quit the clonal names, but I'd love some of mine having a fan less and a first flower ... !
Felices Fiestas btw...

Very nice color.:clap:

As Ray brought up, I found wardii and many other barbata types to be very picky and difficult prior to low K. One of a dozen in a flask would do good.

Cutting down the K and ultimately everything else has made raising entire compots very easy.

Atlantis, don't be so quick to blame the plant.

My experience with some paphs was like yours - one or two growths seemed to be the most any would carry at a time. Since changing my feeding and watering regimen to frequent flooding/flushing with RO plus very low K-Lite fertilizer dosing each time, all of my plants are carrying many more growths, and are flowering better.

That Varuna (like the one you threw away) was one of those miscreants, and now it has three blooming growths and five more on the way.

Ray Barkalow
firstrays.com

Thank your Ray. For the last year I´ve started to cut down the feeding regime on my paphs and I intend to lower a bit more next year.

I would echo Ray's recommendations. For any Barbata Paph that isn't thriving - good water quality is essential, low fertilizer rates, frequent flushing. And I would add, if there is any problem with water quality or media breakdown, at least annual repotting. Also, consider a step down in light level. It is a nice enough flower to make some extra effort with the plant.

My water source is very soft (less than 30 ppm TDS) so I´m lucky as I can use tap water in my plants.
I think I let my plants dry out too much between waterings (as I´m afraid about root rot yet). I´ve been watering them a bit more in spring and summer with good results so I try to overcome my fears watering :)
High light levels are not a problem in my case as I live in a really shadow house (excessive low light is usually my problem with plants).

Very nice color.:clap:

As Ray brought up, I found wardii and many other barbata types to be very picky and difficult prior to low K. One of a dozen in a flask would do good.

Cutting down the K and ultimately everything else has made raising entire compots very easy.

Thanks Rick. Ray´s advices are really helpful so I´ll continue moving in that direction. I think I ought to raise Ca and Mg a bit more in my mix. Some time ago I tried to increase Ca levels but it was too much and some of my plants started to show small dull thick leaves (well, I never learnt what was the correct order of adjectives in english at school :eek:)

Great photograph, and I like the flower, too.
Don't be to harsh with you(r plants)! It's true we don't have much choice in Paphs here in Europe and I don't really understand why they quit the clonal names, but I'd love some of mine having a fan less and a first flower ... !
Felices Fiestas btw...

My plants usually send new fans one by one. Comparing to my friend´s plants, I think my main problem is light and temperature in winter. This fact trains my patience to unexpected limits...
Igualmente, allá por el "trópico español".

My water source is very soft (less than 30 ppm TDS) so I´m lucky as I can use tap water in my plants.
I think I let my plants dry out too much between waterings (as I´m afraid about root rot yet). I´ve been watering them a bit more in spring and summer with good results so I try to overcome my fears watering :)
High light levels are not a problem in my case as I live in a really shadow house (excessive low light is usually my problem with plants).
Should we teach each other? I suffer from being too generous with the water... all the time. :p

Latest posts

Back