Paph. Saint Swithin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasn’t a large plant, but it was a single growth. It has been a very aggressive grower and the only Saint Swithin I have purchased. It has been in this pot since July of 2019. That is a bit of a dilemma, the next size and style of pot. This is the biggest air cone pot, so I will be trying another style/larger size pot. I’m pretty certain it will add more growths in a larger pot!!
Do what I do and make your own oversized aircone pots lol

Thanks Tom. No, not a var. laevigatum cross.
I am out of town now. I will look it up when I get back.
The lighter color and compact size made me think yours might be the var. laevigatum cross, that's all. Now they lump everything together, they might not say var. laevigatum on the tag.

BTW, how long are the petals? 9"?

The lighter color and compact size made me think yours might be the var. laevigatum cross, that's all. Now they lump everything together, they might not say var. laevigatum on the tag.

BTW, how long are the petals? 9"?
Tom,
I asked Sam about the variety of the philippinense side of the Saint Swithin. There is no var on the original tag but he said it was var. roebelenii. I measured the petal length and they are pretty consistently 9.5 inches.

Tom,
I asked Sam about the variety of the philippinense side of the Saint Swithin. There is no var on the original tag but he said it was var. roebelenii. I measured the petal length and they are pretty consistently 9.5 inches.
Thanks for your additional info. I didn't mean to cause you trouble while you were out of town. You have a good clone and you should keep it big if you have room. Don't wait too long to repot it though...The last time I repotted and divided mine, I broke off more than half of its roots because it was so root-bounded.

Thanks for your additional info. I didn't mean to cause you trouble while you were out of town. You have a good clone and you should keep it big if you have room. Don't wait too long to repot it though...The last time I repotted and divided mine, I broke off more than half of its roots because it was so root-bounded.
Yes Tom...I will repot as soon as I cut these flower spikes. I can see all the roots in the air cone pot. 18 months in this pot.

Fantastic Swithin you snagged from Sam! I recently purchased a St Swithin from Sam myself, cross #PAM0192. Do you know your cross #? Anyways, folks should check out Sam's new website. He has some fantastic plants at great pricing. The plant he sent me is 29 inch LS, 2 inch wide leaves with a second start for $51.50 includes shipping. I bought several other crosses, all huge and what I consider cheap.

Fantastic Swithin you snagged from Sam! I recently purchased a St Swithin from Sam myself, cross #PAM0192. Do you know your cross #? Anyways, folks should check out Sam's new website. He has some fantastic plants at great pricing. The plant he sent me is 29 inch LS, 2 inch wide leaves with a second start for $51.50 includes shipping. I bought several other crosses, all huge and what I consider cheap.
Here you go Slipperking. I had the tag filed away (in a drawer). Tag is pretty brittle, I taped it back together.604F70BE-5F1F-47F0-ACFD-C81FF3096A13.jpeg

Hello everybody! My name is Joe & I'm from NJ. I am, as my name implies, a Phrag Newbie. I have just taken delivery of 2 caudatum type phrags with bessea in the background. These are beautiful orchids according to their profile. I would love to see them flourish & bloom. However I 'm not a great grower & this is why I've come to this forum. If you people could help me with info on growing these plants it would be a tremendous help to me!
I need help on what media to use, feeding, lighting & watering, just about everything. I've read that I have to keep their feet wet & also water them more times a week than my other orchids, (dens, phals, cattleya & sarcos.
. How often do you repot, & can they be made to bloom at different times of the year when grown indoors? I'm doing some reading & watching YouTube videos but you people are the real pros at growing the Phrags & Paphs from what I see from your posted pics. Thank you all in advance, & stay safe. Joe Sullivan.

Last edited:
Hello everybody! My name is Joe & I'm from NJ. I am, as my name implies, a Phrag Newbie. I have just taken delivery of 2 caudatum type phrags with bessea in the background. These are beautiful orchids according to their profile. I would love to see them flourish & bloom. However I 'm not a great grower & this is why I've come to this forum. If you people could help me with info on growing these plants it would be a tremendous help to me!
I need help on what media to use, feeding, lighting & watering, just about everything. I've read that I have to keep their feet wet & also water them more times a week than my other orchids, (dens, phals, cattleya & sarcos.
. How often do you repot, & can they be made to bloom at different times of the year when grown indoors? I'm doing some reading & watching YouTube videos but you people are the real pros at growing the Phrags & Paphs from what I see from your posted pics. Thank you all in advance, & stay safe. Joe Sullivan.
Hi Joe, Welcome. First thing I would say is that you might have better luck with phrag culture advice if you post your questions in the slipper culture thread or the phrag thread. These Paph guys don’t necessarily love phrags as much as you (and I) do. I would say that it depends on how much caudatum and how much besseae is in your plant (maybe give the cross if you post again). Caudatums tend to be slower growing, like a drier mix and culture, and brighter light (like dens/catts). Besseaes love to be kept moist, relatively cool (not cold), and in lower light (like phals or even more diffuse). In my opinion, all phrags like good quality water (not too salty) and fresh media. I live in a very different environment and grow outdoors year round, so you will get better advice from others here. Enjoy! Kate

Gorgeous display, great growing, Duck! Hat off, kudos! 👍

These Paph guys don’t necessarily love phrags as much as you (and I) do
Kate, I actually think for most of us ignorami, it's more a matter of don't knowing bupkis, when it comes to their culture.
I do love Phrags, but with limited space, I've chosen Paphs in the slipper department - when it comes to the more Southern parts of the two Americas, I've settled for Cattleyas and Sophronitis (yes, I know, they've been subsumed under Catt.s, too).

Getting back to the original post....
Thanks Duck for the tag information. Sam still has this cross listed on his web pages. I ended up buying the other SS cross listed. I'll post mine whenever it does bloom so we can compare the outcomes. With that said and looking at yours, it might be years! LOL

Getting back to the original post....
Thanks Duck for the tag information. Sam still has this cross listed on his web pages. I ended up buying the other SS cross listed. I'll post mine whenever it does bloom so we can compare the outcomes. With that said and looking at yours, it might be years! LOL
Slipperking,
Curiously, the same cross is a remake, or divisions?? I looking forward to your pics!

Back