Quantcast

Paph. Saint Swithin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

tnyr5

Reaction score
It wasn’t a large plant, but it was a single growth. It has been a very aggressive grower and the only Saint Swithin I have purchased. It has been in this pot since July of 2019. That is a bit of a dilemma, the next size and style of pot. This is the biggest air cone pot, so I will be trying another style/larger size pot. I’m pretty certain it will add more growths in a larger pot!!
Do what I do and make your own oversized aircone pots lol

Duck Slipper

Reaction score
Nice blooming! You did a great staking job also.

Yours look quite similar to mine, strong grower also. Is it the var. laevigatum cross?
Thanks Tom. No, not a var. laevigatum cross.
I am out of town now. I will look it up when I get back.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. No, not a var. laevigatum cross.
I am out of town now. I will look it up when I get back.
The lighter color and compact size made me think yours might be the var. laevigatum cross, that's all. Now they lump everything together, they might not say var. laevigatum on the tag.

BTW, how long are the petals? 9"?

Duck Slipper

Reaction score
The lighter color and compact size made me think yours might be the var. laevigatum cross, that's all. Now they lump everything together, they might not say var. laevigatum on the tag.

BTW, how long are the petals? 9"?
Tom,
I asked Sam about the variety of the philippinense side of the Saint Swithin. There is no var on the original tag but he said it was var. roebelenii. I measured the petal length and they are pretty consistently 9.5 inches.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
Tom,
I asked Sam about the variety of the philippinense side of the Saint Swithin. There is no var on the original tag but he said it was var. roebelenii. I measured the petal length and they are pretty consistently 9.5 inches.
Thanks for your additional info. I didn't mean to cause you trouble while you were out of town. You have a good clone and you should keep it big if you have room. Don't wait too long to repot it though...The last time I repotted and divided mine, I broke off more than half of its roots because it was so root-bounded.

Duck Slipper

Reaction score
Thanks for your additional info. I didn't mean to cause you trouble while you were out of town. You have a good clone and you should keep it big if you have room. Don't wait too long to repot it though...The last time I repotted and divided mine, I broke off more than half of its roots because it was so root-bounded.
Yes Tom...I will repot as soon as I cut these flower spikes. I can see all the roots in the air cone pot. 18 months in this pot.

Latest posts