Paph St Swithin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Probably my best St Swithin.

Paph St Swithin (phillipinense 'TN-7' x rothschildianum 'TN-Lion')

St-Swithin-2023-2.jpg

St-Swithin-2023.jpg

Nice long petals, but I personally prefer your ‘SummerStorm’ clone - the darker coloring and more horizontal petals are more to my tastes. You seem to have a good one for every style though, congrats!

Nice long petals, but I personally prefer your ‘SummerStorm’ clone - the darker coloring and more horizontal petals are more to my tastes. You seem to have a good one for every style though, congrats!

I don't disagree with you. I am partial to more horizontal petals myself. But if I entered both clones into a show, I am pretty sure the judges would favour this one. The flowers are much bigger in size. If I can get some more flowers on this clone, I think I will put it up for an award.

But of course, it is not all about judging. :)

For what it is worth, the stance of the petals is not likely to be the deciding factor in awarding a St. Swithin. With an excess of over 200 flower quality awards in the AOS system to Saint Swithin, there is a ton of info to go on. Here is what I look at as a judge.
On my laptop, I pull up all of the awards to St. Swithin concentrating on perhaps 6 to 10 of the most recent awards shown.
Then with those in front of me, I look at the overall color first. Is it darker, lighter, then those? How does the flower count compare? How are they arranged? Strong inflorescence or weak? Markings clear and well defined?
Then I look at the overall natural spread. How does that compare? Then I look at the measurements, three in particular. The dorsal sepal both height and width. Petal width and length. How do the petals compare? Markings, spots, veins clear and concise. Then lastly I look at the pouch color and size both horizontal and vertical.
That helps me to evaluate the plant in front of me. I include the staminode.
How does it compare to those recent awards that I called up just before? That allows me to pass on it or nominate it and score it.

Now having said that I leave it to you to decide what you would like to do.
I, as a judge, refrain from offering my opinion one way or the other.
All I am willing to say is based strictly on color, and color alone, I would just love to have that plant in my collection.

For what it is worth, the stance of the petals is not likely to be the deciding factor in awarding a St. Swithin. With an excess of over 200 flower quality awards in the AOS system to Saint Swithin, there is a ton of info to go on. Here is what I look at as a judge.
On my laptop, I pull up all of the awards to St. Swithin concentrating on perhaps 6 to 10 of the most recent awards shown.
Then with those in front of me, I look at the overall color first. Is it darker, lighter, then those? How does the flower count compare? How are they arranged? Strong inflorescence or weak? Markings clear and well defined?
Then I look at the overall natural spread. How does that compare? Then I look at the measurements, three in particular. The dorsal sepal both height and width. Petal width and length. How do the petals compare? Markings, spots, veins clear and concise. Then lastly I look at the pouch color and size both horizontal and vertical.
That helps me to evaluate the plant in front of me. I include the staminode.
How does it compare to those recent awards that I called up just before? That allows me to pass on it or nominate it and score it.

Now having said that I leave it to you to decide what you would like to do.
I, as a judge, refrain from offering my opinion one way or the other.
All I am willing to say is based strictly on color, and color alone, I would just love to have that plant in my collection.

Thanks for the detailed response. You are right. The bar is pretty high to get an award for a St Swithin. There have been nearly 70 awarded here in Australia as well. This plant won Reserve Champion at our show a few years back, despite the flowers being way past their best. The judges told me to get it judged in future as it is an award quality plant.

i like to downward petals in SS. If too horizotal they look like a'poor' roth.

A lot of the early St Swithin's in Australia seemed to have very horizontal petals. There were some fantastic clones, one getting an FCC (Sunnybank). But the recent breeding is more focused on getting longer petals which ensures more pendulous petals. It would defy physics for petals this long to be horizontal.

Latest posts

Back