Paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jean. I was pretty happy with the first photo. Normally we put the camera at the same height as the flower. In this one the flowers were way above the camera. I really like the perspective this gives. It accentuates the dorsal, centralises the pouch and brings into play the ventral sepal which you rarely see. As a result the flowers have much nicer symmetry.

I fully agree with you David!!! But Imo, the absolutely necessary complement then is a view just as you show it in your second pict. so :clap::clap::clap:!!!! Jean

Magificent plant David, I remember reading in an old AOS bulletin these were selling for $2-3000 in the 80's!

Magificent plant David, I remember reading in an old AOS bulletin these were selling for $2-3000 in the 80's!

Yes, that wouldn't surprise me. They are a bit cheaper now but still pretty expensive compared to other parts of the world. For a flowering size plant now it would have to be $500+. I wouldn't even know where you could get a flowering size plant. No one sells them. Larger plants are hard to come by. I got 3 larger seedlings (30cm across) when P&R closed up. One of the roth "Sam's Best" x "Rex" is growing really well. If it doesn't flower next year then I think it will flower the following year. The others might flower in a decade or two if all the planets align. :)

Yes, that wouldn't surprise me. They are a bit cheaper now but still pretty expensive compared to other parts of the world. For a flowering size plant now it would have to be $500+. I wouldn't even know where you could get a flowering size plant. No one sells them. Larger plants are hard to come by. I got 3 larger seedlings (30cm across) when P&R closed up. One of the roth "Sam's Best" x "Rex" is growing really well. If it doesn't flower next year then I think it will flower the following year. The others might flower in a decade or two if all the planets align. :)

Sam's Best x Rex is easy to flower, and IMHO the blooms from this cross are quite nice. From your three you should get a good one.

Latest posts

Back