Paph primulinum (album?)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of people have sent seed to Meyers Conservatory from a "var liltii".

There is no scale for flower size, but otherwise it looks exactly like a var. purpurense to me.

As you have stated, kalinae is nowhere close to primulinum, if anything (other than a distinct species) it is a subspecies of victor-reginae (or chamberlianum).

I think Paph. liltii was coined by Ray Rands in the late '80s or early '90s. He used it in some of his ads in the AOS Bulletin. I'm pretty sure it's considered the same as primulinum fma. purpurascens by most taxonomists. The difference Rands used was that it had an orange-pink pouch vs. the more common pink-purple pouch.

--Stephen

silence882 said:
I think Paph. liltii was coined by Ray Rands in the late '80s or early '90s. He used it in some of his ads in the AOS Bulletin. I'm pretty sure it's considered the same as primulinum fma. purpurascens by most taxonomists. The difference Rands used was that it had an orange-pink pouch vs. the more common pink-purple pouch.

--Stephen
That's my understanding, also. Here's my "lilti": Notice the pouch color.

Paphprimulinum(fma)purpurascens3.jpg

I don't know the size of purpurescens, but my lilti is a very small flower. Blooms a very long time.

The original paph primulinum var purpurascens had an orangy pouch versus pink. In fact it looked identical to your variety liltii. The flower is like throwing a yellow wash over a normal cochlopetalum flower. I would say the two are synonymous.
Both primulinum and var.purpurascens are fairly small flowers with var. purpurascens being a smidge larger.

Latest posts

Back