Paph leucochilum alba 'Hoth'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehe, I was asking myself exactly the same question and googling a bit to get some info.

Even though it may me argued whether they are same or different species, something more than "white pouch" should be available in order to label the plant as Paph godefroye f. album or Paph godefroyae var. leuchochilum f album. Somewhere in the web I found a link saying that the difference is in the size of the flower (leuchochilum larger than godefroyae), but this does not seem to be an stable character to be used (IMO) Does anyone know whether there is a valid description for leuchochilum album?

I would really like more discussion in this area concerning leuco, anthong and godfroyae.
Does anyone have the taxonomic definitions of the variations of godfroyae?

Maybe Olaf could comment here.. as per his article in Orchid Digest 69(4) 2005, Paph. godefroyae forma album was described by himself in Caesiana 18:31 (2001). Then he adds that teh albino forms of both (Paph. godefroyae and Paph. godefroyae var. leuchochilum) look identical... but no reference to description of Paph. godefroyae var. leuchochilum f. album.

some pages later, it is stated that the albino of Paph. x angthong has not been yet described (as per end of 2005!)

(Forma album has also been described for Paph bellatulum, Paph. concolor, Paph niveum and Paph wenshanense.)

Maybe Olaf could comment here.. as per his article in Orchid Digest 69(4) 2005, Paph. godefroyae forma album was described by himself in Caesiana 18:31 (2001). Then he adds that teh albino forms of both (Paph. godefroyae and Paph. godefroyae var. leuchochilum) look identical... but no reference to description of Paph. godefroyae var. leuchochilum f. album.

some pages later, it is stated that the albino of Paph. x angthong has not been yet described (as per end of 2005!)

(Forma album has also been described for Paph bellatulum, Paph. concolor, Paph niveum and Paph wenshanense.)

We have some Paph. bellatulum albums and Paph. wenshanense albums. Even though these plants lack any red pigmentation on the flowers, you can still see raised bumps on the petals and the pouch that would have pigmentation if they would have been the colored type. I don't know if this is true or not, but maybe one way to determine if the plant is a Paph. godefroyae album versus a Paph. godefroyae var. leuchochilum album to see if it has similar bumps on the pouch. If it does it would be a regular godefroyae, if it does not, it would be a leuchochilum.

Robert

i thought the biggest reason for the differentiation of godfr. and leuc. was that they were geographically distinct populations

also, i'm pretty darn sure i've seen some plants labeled as leuc with spots on the pouch. were they not really straight leuc but probably have been crossed with godfr previously?

i thought the biggest reason for the differentiation of godfr. and leuc. was that they were geographically distinct populations

also, i'm pretty darn sure i've seen some plants labeled as leuc with spots on the pouch. were they not really straight leuc but probably have been crossed with godfr previously?

Gotta love Hadley Cash, but he has a Brachy with a spotted pouch that he repeatedly shows in his lectures and calls leucochilum. Maybe we translate it as white lip too literally???

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back