Paph.gigantifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! The colour and texture on the back of the sepals is lovely.

I am hoping to get some gigantifolium crosses in the next few months, I hope the parents were as gorgeous as this.

Just a beautiful species. Thanks for posting, it good to have more photos available. How about a whole plant shot??

IMHO there is no Paph out there with such unique flowers. Take the dorsal sepal: the inside is green, outside is dark purple. Or compare the very broad stripes on the dorsal to the other muliflorals. And the white ovary: there are only two species with that colour: gig. and sand. But if you ask me, it looks much more spectacular on gigantifolium, because the contrast to the dark purple is just an eye catcher.

IMHO there is no Paph out there with such unique flowers. Take the dorsal sepal: the inside is green, outside is dark purple. Or compare the very broad stripes on the dorsal to the other muliflorals. And the white ovary: there are only two species with that colour: gig. and sand. But if you ask me, it looks much more spectacular on gigantifolium, because the contrast to the dark purple is just an eye catcher.

Foliage wise the plant is much more like kolopak than any of the other multi species. Big flat wide somewhat wavy and floppy leaves. No where near as rigid as stonei supardii or roth.

But 99.9% of what customs and USDA get to see are non blooming plants that all look the same to them, so the name printed on the tag is the only identifier. 5-10 years when it blooms who knows where that plant will be? And unless you make a big $ ruckus about it, everything stays under the radar.

That is a nice one! I described the species .... it looks nice than the type I had .. I wish you would try to self it and make the seedlings available
i second that
Me three!

Don't tell ... Don't ask --- label them with a name of a "legal species" or a "hybrid".
Donate flasks to a rescue center, and keep moving the rest as P. supardii var 'wink wink':wink:
And then someone gets it awarded as "legal" or "wink wink" and we have another mess on registrations. Oh, I know -- you are both being facetious.:evil:

Me three!

And then someone gets it awarded as "legal" or "wink wink" and we have another mess on registrations. Oh, I know -- you are both being facetious.:evil:

They need to be patient and keep it away from AOS judging until it gets as common as lowii. They can't put us all in jail!

They need to be patient and keep it away from AOS judging until it gets as common as lowii. They can't put us all in jail!
Well guys, it looks like that US based members can start a petition to AOS/or any orchids conservation institutions to make representation to the USDA or USWF to change the USACITES interpretation of what is actually legal/illegal. I think it is only the authorities in USA that still classify seedlings illegal if the parents are yet to be legalised?? It is an understatement to say that the situation there is farcical. Hope your authorities do not try to change ours.

Well guys, it looks like that US based members can start a petition to AOS/or any orchids conservation institutions to make representation to the USDA or USWF to change the USACITES interpretation of what is actually legal/illegal. I think it is only the authorities in USA that still classify seedlings illegal if the parents are yet to be legalised?? It is an understatement to say that the situation there is farcical. Hope your authorities do not try to change ours.

I've allready heard of US lobbying within CITES to have them take over their ridiculous stance on this subject so it applies to CITES worldwide.

The situation with flasked seedlings from countries outside of Vietnam is not clear to me.

Gigantifolium is from Sulawesii (Indonesia). Are they are CITES signatory? If so, then plants in the hands Taiwan breeders may be "legal enough" to allow flasks of legal seedlings into the US without worrying about "wink wink".

Kind of like the present thaianum condition (though that species is Thai origin).

As it stands, there have been releases of flasked seedlings from Sam T. and Glenn D. into the hobby in the US.

Hopefully people are succesful in raising them, and will breed them as they flower.

Back