Paph. Hung Sheng Tango: Story of Impulse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This line of breeding doesn't usually do it for me, but I would grow this one. Congrats on a great pick-up!

So the flower was passed at judging because the judges thought the dorsal was too cupped and not fully symmetrical… oh well, next year then! They loved the dark color and stance.

Today it’s still holding well more than a month later:

4C13ECE4-9B5C-4FD7-86A9-9AB50E6CE90E.jpeg71565DA0-1CCF-49BA-B74F-867B85A9FB95.jpeg

Thinking of using a black godefroyae/leucochilum pollem on it. Any thoughts?

I am not sure as to just how dark that you would like it to be.
But regardless, the extremely dark and rich raspberry color is flat out gorgeous!! I can agree that the dorsal seems too cupped and the segments are misaligned. The dorsal seems to be left of center. But having said that, l have to honestly say that from here, I might have nominated it for a flower quality award. I can see a couple of minor faults as I said but by nominating it, we would know for sure. Nothing really wrong with an HCC of 75 or 76 points.
I would of liked to have heard the complete discussion by being on the judging team. Being involved in that discussion and having the candidate in hand, I think that I would have been at 76 points.
So many good bellatulums have had cupped or hooded dorsals!

It is a bit cupped... A lot of this kind of breeding has such heavy substance that it is hard to push the flowers enough to open. It will be better next year.

Personally, I'd hold off crossing it to something until a second bloom. You'll have plenty of time to think about it, and have a better idea of what it can do.

I am not sure as to just how dark that you would like it to be.
But regardless, the extremely dark and rich raspberry color is flat out gorgeous!! I can agree that the dorsal seems too cupped and the segments are misaligned. The dorsal seems to be left of center. But having said that, l have to honestly say that from here, I might have nominated it for a flower quality award. I can see a couple of minor faults as I said but by nominating it, we would know for sure. Nothing really wrong with an HCC of 75 or 76 points.
I would of liked to have heard the complete discussion by being on the judging team. Being involved in that discussion and having the candidate in hand, I think that I would have been at 76 points.
So many good bellatulums have had cupped or hooded dorsals!
I agree with you. Maybe next year flowering will be larger and possibly flatter dorsal.

It is a bit cupped... A lot of this kind of breeding has such heavy substance that it is hard to push the flowers enough to open. It will be better next year.

Personally, I'd hold off crossing it to something until a second bloom. You'll have plenty of time to think about it, and have a better idea of what it can do.
The substance is pretty thick so I’m wondering if it needs a parent with a flatter dorsal like my godefroyae album ‘Double Happiness’.

So the flower was passed at judging because the judges thought the dorsal was too cupped and not fully symmetrical…
I for my part would pass on the judges...as I wholeheated agree with big923!

I wonder if the judges have ever encountered some of the usually not very fortunate outcomes of anitum x brachy - and they entail in my opinion the absolute majority of the lot. I guess not, as they would then clearly have acknowledged the outstanding quality of your flower (slightly hooded and even more slightly off center dorsal notwithstanding! 🤬)

I for my part would pass on the judges...as I wholeheated agree with big923!

I wonder if the judges have ever encountered some of the usually not very fortunate outcomes of anitum x brachy - and they entail in my opinion the absolute majority of the lot. I guess not, as they would then clearly have acknowledged the outstanding quality of your flower (slightly hooded and even more slightly off center dorsal notwithstanding! 🤬)
This cross is likely the moment of First Encounter of the Branitum clans for the Center.

So the flower was passed at judging because the judges thought the dorsal was too cupped and not fully symmetrical… oh well, next year then! They loved the dark color and stance.

Today it’s still holding well more than a month later:

View attachment 41139View attachment 41138

Thinking of using a black godefroyae/leucochilum pollem on it. Any thoughts?
I made a similar backcross to godefroyae/leucochilum (album form) except with Jennifer Stage album. I got germination, so I would hope that this sort of backcross could work too.

Oh my God! That flower is amazing!!! I can't believe the judges didn't award it. I say go for it with the back cross onto leuco. I've seen some amazing brachi-multi backcrossed onto brachi. It should widen the petals and flatten the dorsal if all goes well.

Oh my God! That flower is amazing!!! I can't believe the judges didn't award it. I say go for it with the back cross onto leuco. I've seen some amazing brachi-multi backcrossed onto brachi. It should widen the petals and flatten the dorsal if all goes well.
The flower unfortunately passed (wilted) so it will have to wait till next year.

It's probably better for the health of the plant to wait until it's a little bigger. That will give you a year to ponder what to cross it with and dream of what the results will be.😌

Latest posts

Back