WBW Mystery

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be something like a dark Paph. Sunlight Rothschild or a similar cross, or another roth on to it. I don't think it is a straight roth.

Well, it is a hybrid…it will express the traits of both parents. Some traits more than others. I don’t think it is a Roth or an adductum, but it is a hybrid of both. Because of that, it doesn’t look like the WBW we want it to look like. All kinds of genetic variability with a straight Roth seedling and this is a hybrid!

If it's a WBW x WBW sib cross it could just be at the Roth end of the spectrum that could be achieved as an F2 (or further) sibling cross.

There's a picture on Orchid Roots that has some similarities. (The actual photo links to a Facebook page)

https://orchidroots.com/detail/100916002/hybrid/?tab=sum

This is a higher possibility … an F2 coming from the anitum line can inherit the horizontal petals of the roths. Good point Eds.

Stunning, stunning flower!! Colour, solid dark pouch, petal width, it ticks the boxes!!... I hope you can figure out what it is?

I can't help thinking that this crossed onto a black/dark godefroyae or bellatulum would give HS Wild Cat a run for its money.

JL

what's the petal width? looks wide!
I retook the measurements and looks like my initial measurements were 'hopeful' lol. Here are the 'real' sizes:

NS 18 cm
DSW 5.5 cm
DSL 5 cm
PW 2 cm
PL 9.5 cm
SynW 5 cm
SynL 4 cm

Petal lengths of the awarded WBW is twice the size of the current one at 16-18 cm. Seems like this flower is short on the lengths even compared to awarded roths at 13-18 cm. Yet it seems like a well-balanced flower with wider petals than either of those listed (1.3-1.8 cm range). The dorsal sepal is almost a round as the synsepal, which forms a nice frame for the pouch.

Stunning, stunning flower!! Colour, solid dark pouch, petal width, it ticks the boxes!!... I hope you can figure out what it is?

I can't help thinking that this crossed onto a black/dark godefroyae or bellatulum would give HS Wild Cat a run for its money.

JL
Interesting idea. I looked at the pics of the HS Wild Cat and found one from OrchidRoot below that is stunning.

1680716248936.png

Now, I rarely like any hybrids and this one calls to my curiosity (much like how Rolfei peeked my interest back to paphs).

Perhaps I can use the leucochilum 'Blackest Knight' pollen on it if there is a majority support from the members here who are willing to grow them out as an experiment, I might just take the plunge?

Any takers?

Latest posts

Back