Cattleya walkeriana rubra Lives!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flower has a fantastic shape.
I was just wondering, why don’t you grow it mounted? It is by far the easiest way to grow walkeriana. And yes, also without a greenhouse.

Is this one royal purple as it appears on my monitor? I thought rubra c.w were more of a dark red-pink? Or does it just mean any richly colored specimen?

he flower has a fantastic shape.
I was just wondering, why don’t you grow it mounted? It is by far the easiest way to grow walkeriana. And yes, also without a greenhouse.
How do you grow plants mounted under lights? I have a few and its been a big hassle for me.

Attachments

• PXL_20230427_162621517.jpg
    PXL_20230427_162621517.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230427_162904689.jpg
    PXL_20230427_162904689.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The flower has a fantastic shape.
Only GH will they be grown successfully mounted. I grow indoors so this is best way (as Kata showed above).

I also grow indoors, otherwise I wouldn’t have said it. I have been giving a talk on growing mounted orchids without a greenhouse for local orchid societies.

Indeed there are many of my plants mounted in my tanks as they are small genera. These walkerianas will require a bigger mount and I don’t have the light or space for accommodating them unfortunately.

Have you mounted your walkerianas? If so, I’m interested to see how they do.

Indeed there are many of my plants mounted in my tanks as they are small genera. These walkerianas will require a bigger mount and I don’t have the light or space for accommodating them unfortunately.

Have you mounted your walkerianas? If so, I’m interested to see how they do.
Together with Brassavola and Broughtonia, C walkeriana is the easiest plant grow mounted. I have attached pictures of the mother plant and of the division of my C walkeriana var. coerulea.C walkeriana v coerulea.jpgC walkeriana var coerulea division.JPG

Together with Brassavola and Broughtonia, C walkeriana is the easiest plant grow mounted. I have attached pictures of the mother plant and of the division of my C walkeriana var. coerulea.View attachment 40065View attachment 40066
Those look really great. I am considering setting up the other half of my tent for mounted plants. I will say though that the space efficiency is not as high as with pots. With your vandas I guess you don't really have a choice and thats what got you started on indoor mounts?

Looks great… maybe I will try on one to see. All under lights?
Yes, you should try. It will work!
I do hang the walkerianas outdoors from late May till September and I adapt them to 3-4 hours of full sun per day. That isn't necessary though. Our summers are extremely hot and humid and my Prosthechea citrina and mariae are always indoors.

Last edited:
Those look really great. I am considering setting up the other half of my tent for mounted plants. I will say though that the space efficiency is not as high as with pots. With your vandas I guess you don't really have a choice and thats what got you started on indoor mounts?
It all started with one Leptotes bicolor and one Brassavola nodosa back in Sweden over twenty years ago. The plants arrived mounted and as an experiment I kept them that way. To my surprise they did really well.

Yes, you should try. It will work!
I do hang the walkerianas outdoors from late May till September and I adapt them to 3-4 hours of full sun per day. That isn't necessary though. Our summers are extremely hot and humid and my Prosthechea citrina and mariae are always indoors.
I don’t ever take my plants outside in balcony… too hot (south) and too dry. I think the sunlight hardens then more and may be essential to this mounting process.

I don’t ever take my plants outside in balcony… too hot (south) and too dry. I think the sunlight hardens then more and may be essential to this mounting process.
Sunlight doesn't really help the plant while its roots are attaching to the mount. Actually, I wouldn't expose the newly mounted plant to direct sunlight.

It is very straightforward. Just make sure you see new roots emerging, then you mount it. The plant should be absolutely immobile while the new roots attach. It will only take a couple of months at most before you see the new roots firmly attached to the mount.

Sunlight doesn't really help the plant while its roots are attaching to the mount. Actually, I wouldn't expose the newly mounted plant to direct sunlight.

It is very straightforward. Just make sure you see new roots emerging, then you mount it. The plant should be absolutely immobile while the new roots attach. It will only take a couple of months at most before you see the new roots firmly attached to the mount.
Well said. One additional point. Mount the plant so that it grows onto the mount IE new growth facing the mount.

Latest posts

Back