WBW Mystery

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting idea. I looked at the pics of the HS Wild Cat and found one from OrchidRoot below that is stunning.

View attachment 39492

Now, I rarely like any hybrids and this one calls to my curiosity (much like how Rolfei peeked my interest back to paphs).

Perhaps I can use the leucochilum 'Blackest Knight' pollen on it if there is a majority support from the members here who are willing to grow them out as an experiment, I might just take the plunge?

Any takers?

If the identity of the WBW is confirmed and you can get them to the US I would happily grow some out.

I wouldn't sweat the petal length too much since the form of the flower is so different from a standard WBW, and the 2cm petal width is huge. I would look at roth-y shaped Hilo Black Eagles as a more apt comparison for award potential.

Interesting idea. I looked at the pics of the HS Wild Cat and found one from OrchidRoot below that is stunning.

View attachment 39492

Now, I rarely like any hybrids and this one calls to my curiosity (much like how Rolfei peeked my interest back to paphs).

Perhaps I can use the leucochilum 'Blackest Knight' pollen on it if there is a majority support from the members here who are willing to grow them out as an experiment, I might just take the plunge?

Any takers?
count me in for a flask.... i have a few of these 2 already and that would be a stunning addition

IMG-1502.jpgIMG-1501.jpg

So I got the results back as to the ID of the cross. It is Shin-Yi Williams (William Ambler x roth).

William Ambler is (roth x wilhelminae).

This makes the cross 75% roth and 25% wilhelminae.

That is why the roth look is so strong on this one, with the dark colors from the wilhelminae.

Awarded clones of this grex average about 19.2 cm with 4 flowers, and dorsals around 5-cm width and 6-cm in length. Petal sizes were 1.8-cm widths and 13.2-cm length.

Mine has a ways to go to reach these dimensions, particularly the number of flowers.... hopefully next year!

Side note: unfortunately, the flowers fell off while I was in Costa Rica, so no breeding was done. Maybe next year.

View attachment 39492

Any takers?
I’d definitely want to grow a flask out if you can ship to the US!

View attachment 39492
That OrchidRoot clone is indeed stunning, Leslie!
But the outcome of this cross is really variable, and the more pictures, I've seen of the 'Wild Cat', the more content, I've been with my own plant:28722-8fd540400d7f72c2aa9248edf4ad12e1.jpeg.jpg29167-93d3dc16df339f2a829cf0bbfc91dbc1.jpeg.jpg

That OrchidRoot clone is indeed stunning, Leslie!
But the outcome of this cross is really variable, and the more pictures, I've seen of the 'Wild Cat', the more content, I've been with my own plant:View attachment 40192View attachment 40193
Very nicely colored!! Does this bloom on a regular basis?
I had a few Rolfei, bellatulum x roth. They grew like weeds but never bloomed for me. I got rid of them all while ago.

I love your one!
I had anitum x leuco a few years ago. Interestingly dark bluish green leaves with beautiful silver patterns.
The plant bloomed three times in two years span. I wish my Rolfei behaved like that but no.
Oh, well...
You can still put the pollen from fallen flowers on your leuco?

I had anitum x leuco a few years ago. Interestingly dark bluish green leaves with beautiful silver patterns.
The plant bloomed three times in two years span. I wish my Rolfei behaved like that but no.
Oh, well...
You can still put the pollen from fallen flowers on your leuco?
The leucochilum will be carrying another black x black (BK x Oreo) leucochilum pod unfortunately.

Paph. Shin-Yi Williams (William Amber ‘#6’ x rothschildianum ‘Black Bird’)
look like this can be the parents of your Shin-Yi Williams they come out from hawaii
your have the colors of rothschildianum ‘Black Bird’

Latest posts

Back